Moderator Control Panel ]

Gr-Grandmother and 3 Missing Male Relatives

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Gr-Grandmother and 3 Missing Male Relatives

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm

This branch of my family has quite a few brick walls. Not the least of which are three male relatives who “disappeared”.
My great-grandmother was Elizabeth Ford, b. 7 May 1854 in Oldham, Lancs. She was the daughter of Joseph Ford and Mary Ann Lounds/Lownds/Lounce. They were married in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1846. They had two sons, Matthew William and Joseph (b. 1848 and 1850 respectively, in Halifax, Yorks where Joseph was from). At some point after the 1851 census they moved to Oldham and Elizabeth was born there.
1) Joseph disappears sometime after the birth of Elizabeth (he is mentioned on her baptism, not sure that is proof he was around). The family story was that he went to “America”. Whether he deserted the family or meant to send for them is unknown. I have found no sign of him after that;
2) Seven years after the birth of Elizabeth, Mary Ann marries Thomas Summers Spencer 24 Dec 1861 Huddersfield. She had appeared on the census in Huddersfield for that year. Her parents and brother lived in Huddersfield, so probably returned after Joseph left. Mary Ann died just a few months after her marriage (had a hard time finding her death as she was indexed under SOMERS) of TB and Thomas married again 13 Apr 1863, Mary Haworth. I am quite sure she is the Mary Spencer, nee Haworth, who married John Shaw in Lindley, Yorks. In 1867, listed as a widow. After the marriage to Mary Haworth, I cannot find Thomas Summers Spencer b. ca 1819 in E. Grinstead, Sussex;
3) Matthew William Ford, Elizabeth’s older brother, b. Sep Q 1848, Halifax appears with Elizabeth, brother Joseph, and their uncle Edwin Hervin/Irvin/Irving (Mary Ann Lounds’ half-brother, she was likely illegitimate) in the 1871 census but after that he disappears as well. On that census he is listed as William M. rather than Matthew W.

Although the family story is that Joseph left it might in fact be Thomas, the stepfather who left.
Joseph did have an uncle (Christopher Ford) who went to Canada in the 1820’s and settled near Ottawa, Ontario. At least one of Christopher’s daughters went to the US and raised a large family over several different states. Have found no trace of Joseph in either Canada or the US.

Would love to track down at least one of these men, especially my gr-gr-grandfather Joseph. My DNA test with Ancestry has done nothing for me on this branch, which defeats the odds, but maybe there was a non-paternal event (other than Mary Ann’s but there is more to that one).
Last edited by DianaCanada on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DianaCanada

Re: Gr-Grandmother and 3 Missing Male Relatives

Postby MayHam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:02 am

http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/ records the deaths of a William Ford in Huddersfield in 1875 and 1876 aged 25 and 26 respectively.
MayHam

Re: Gr-Grandmother and 3 Missing Male Relatives

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Thank you for this. There were two William Fords of about the same age in the 1871 cenus, including mine. The death ages do not quite match and the name Matthew is missing but I will see if I can eliminate either of those two before sending for a death certificate.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries