Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register - Cornford, Sussex

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1939 Register - Cornford, Sussex

Postby DianaCanada » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:48 pm

My mother was living at Cornford's Dairy,186 South Coast Road, Telscombe Cliffs, E. Sussex in 1939 (age 15). She had been given a home by her aunt (and her uncle by marriage), Dorothy Mabel (Oliver) and Robert Cornford. On the Ancestry version my great-aunt is still redacted, although she died on 16 Sep 1993 in Sussex. Her daughter is also redacted (they had three children) although she died a number of years ago. Everyone is that household has passed away.
I can understand why my mother is still redacted, as she died in Canada, and no one has submitted a proof of death. I am wondering about my Aunty Dolly, who was b. 13 Apr 1901 and this is well over 100 years ago, which I thought was the age everyone was "revealed" on the 1939.
Am I wrong? Is there some reason why Dorothy Oliver Cornford would still be redacted?
The first time I checked the family I used FMP. I no longer have a subscription and am quite sure she was visible in 1939 when I checked last year.
DianaCanada

Re: 1939 Register - Cornford, Sussex

Postby trace » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Perhaps an incorrect dob has been attributed to the record(s).

Both my Father and Grandmother have incorrect dob's.......if my Dad filled in the form it doesn't surprise me that whoever was transcribing it onto the 1939 Register didn't get it correct!!
Their surname is also spelled incorrectly! I cannot correct these details as that is what the Register states!
trace

Postby brunes08 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:37 pm

I couldn't find my late father-in-law on the Register. However, when I looked for his parents, he was there with them. His parents had been correctly given their birth years. However, my father-in-law had been given the same year of birth as his parents on the transcription. To be fair to the transcribers, the original writing on the page was unclear so the mistake was understandable.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 pm

brunes08 wrote: To be fair to the transcribers, the original writing on the page was unclear so the mistake was understandable.

Looking at the image, I honestly can't make out Robert Cornford's year of birth.
It looks like some kind of sellotape job? That is probably going to make the d-o-b for the next entry just as hard, if not harder, to read.
The second person in the household (presumably Dorothy as the eldest child, Basil, is number 3) is indeed redacted on findmypast (whose transcribers had to the job by columns?)
I believe that the 39 Register has come to ancestry with the redacted entries already in place, and that they cannot open them? As you say, it would probably require a request to findmypast, along with accompanying death certificate, to open a person at a specific address (if they are there!)
Ian
ianbee

Postby DianaCanada » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Ian: Dorothy was Robert's wife. Uncle Bob was a bit younger than her, born in 1902. The children in the household were their three: Basil, Daphne, David (Cornford) and my mother Joyce Oliver, died in Canada. The last member of the household is William Oliver b. 8 Feb1882. He was Dolly's father and my mother's grandfather.
Robert's year of birth is unreadable too but he is no longer redacted. He died in 1957.
Thank you for letting me know about FMP.
DianaCanada

Postby DavidLondon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Diana, Dorothy and Robert Cornford were my grandparents, Daphne who died in 2006 was my mother. (We met about 50 years ago). I have no idea why Dorothy's death should have been redacted. Her dob is correct, but I had always understood Robert was a year older, thus born 1900. I think he died in 1959 rather than 1957. You are obviously going further back, outside my knowledge.
DavidLondon

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm

David, what a surprise to see you here! Yes, we last saw each other in 1967 or maybe 68, when you visited Canada.
Your post has stirred up a lot of memories of my visits to England and other family visiting Canada. Would love to catch up on what has happened to everyone over the years.
I do have quite a lot of information accumulated on the Oliver side and I would be more than happy to share with you.
I will PM you and we can communicate by email, if you like.
Diana.
DianaCanada

Postby DavidLondon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:44 am

Diana, thanks for this, it is quite a coincidence that I happened to see your entry a few days ago.
Yes, let's catch up by email. Can you see my email address from this or let me have yours?
DavidLondon

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:33 pm

David, click on your user name and it should take you to where you can read Private Messages. I have sent you one with my email address.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries