Moderator Control Panel ]

Griffiths family.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Griffiths family.

Postby shanew147 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:39 pm

KayFarndon wrote:This is for Shane please.

You found and highlighted the birth of Harry George Griffiths for me, born 1880. You also listed other births and I wondered whether they had the same father, as the birth years of two years between does make it possible, or did you just list them in the hope that I might find them interesting and perhaps helpful please?

I didn't view the certs for all of these but all are based on records in the extracted civil births on FamilySearch with the same Parents names - i.e. Edwin Griffiths & Margaret McInnis (or equivalent Maginnis) - see this link (you need a free account on FamilySearch)

The extracted civil birth collection covers many, but not all, births between the start of civil registration in 1864 and about 1881, so there may be additional children during this timeframe or others after 1880.

for reference the matching cert for the earliest birth found for the couple that of William Samuel Griffith December 1865 at Corrig Avenue, Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire) district to Edwin Griffiths and Margaret McInnis, father's occupation Ships Carpenter. Edwin seems to join the coastguard sometime between 1873 and 1875 when the family moved to Co. Kerry - Matilda's birth in Ballyheigue is the first which mentions this occupation.
Last edited by shanew147 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanew147

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Many thanks Shane for your help. In the twenty years I have been doing genealogy, I have never done Irish research at all, so this is a first for me.
KayFarndon

Postby shanew147 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am

no problem - shout if you need a hand with locating the other births on IrishGenealogy - leave out the middle names when searching, as these are not usually indexed. The earlier children seem to be born around Kingstown which is Rathdown registration district, and the others (Harry,
Matilda & Charlotte) born Co. Kerry and the border with Limerick districts - Tralee and Glin.
shanew147

Postby ianbee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:31 pm

shanew147 wrote:the others (Harry, Matilda & Charlotte) born Co. Kerry and the border with Limerick districts - Tralee and Glin.

Don't forget Samuel John!

shanew147 wrote: shout if you need a hand with locating the other births on IrishGenealogy

There was also the splendidly named Leopold Nassau, born 6 April 1882, recorded as Griffith
ianbee

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 am

Ianbee said not to forget Samuel John. Do you have his birth date please?
KayFarndon

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 am

I have a baptism in 1908 taking place at Cardiff St Teilo, Glamorgan, but when I Googled it there were two and I am not sure which will be the correct one. Any thoughts gratefully received.
KayFarndon

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:18 am

In response to an earlier message from Mick Loney telling me to click for the previous record on Ancestry. I had done so, but with no luck each time I tried, so someone I knew did it too and the same thing happened to them, they only found the lead page of the census by trial and error.
Many thanks for replying and the suggestion.
KayFarndon

Postby ianbee » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Kay, if you clink on the link I gave, get past the captcha and sign in (any old name will do), you get the image of the births register.
I am attaching the meaty bit. Samuel John born 3 October 1876.
Attachments
Samuel.JPG
Samuel.JPG (39.29 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
ianbee

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Thank you ianbee.
KayFarndon

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:42 pm

It is almost a year since I posted about the Griffiths family and I had helpful replies. I have been continuously working on this family, but as I was warned by so many people that Irish genealogy is a nightmare, this has proved to be true.

Edwin and Margaret had ten children and I was hoping that someone might just have them on their tree. I can find not a single match to any of them on Genes Reunited, so am posting this and hoping that someone on the forum can add a bit to it all for me please.
KayFarndon

Previous

Return to General research queries