Moderator Control Panel ]

Gravestone bingo!

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Gravestone bingo!

Postby JaneyH » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

My husband and son (now 10) occasionally humour me and allow me to visit a graveyard of interest as part of a family holiday or trip. En route to Cornwall, we stopped in a small village in Devon where I knew lots of ancestors previously lived.

I promised it would be a short stop (!) but to look out for stones with the name ‘Scoble’. Almost immediately, my son said “here’s one”, and “here’s another”, then “this whole row”! This ‘family gathering’ includes my 3x great-grandparents and my 4x great-grandparents. Image

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: Gravestone bingo!

Postby ianbee » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 pm

What a wonderful find, Janey. You must have been thrilled.
I can't even find one grave in my local churchyard, just down the road. It's in there somewhere, I saw it once!
Ian
ianbee

Postby paulr1949 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am

After I’d been misled by an ancestry tree, I discovered that some of my Reeve ancestors lived/died in Wangford, Suffolk (the one near Southwold). My wife and I visited the churchyard and found about 10 Reeve gravestones-but half of them I know nothing about and I could not find a connection. Since then I haven’t had time to look at them again, but this reminds me that I must do so.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:25 pm

How marvellous to find so many headstones.After many fruitless searches,especially a very wet
search of the "auld cemetery" in Carluke I have come to the conclusion that my ancestors were too
poor to have headstones.
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby phsvm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:42 pm

And on a serious note. It's really important that gravestones are recorded. One only has to compare the condition of the headstone in the front bottom right to the tall one slightly to its left to see how they deteriorate over time.

It won't be long before all the writing is illegible. Many parishes have projects to record the information on all headstones in their churchyard. It needs doing before it's too late. If your local community hasn't done so yet and you feel like a project for the summer ......
phsvm

Return to Genealogy chat