Moderator Control Panel ]

Problem with GRO Index

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Problem with GRO Index

Postby SDV » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:47 pm

I would like to purchase a PDF for a birth I have found on FreeBMD, namely: Jane COLBOURN Q3 1841 Hungerford 6 178. Unfortunately, no matter how I search, I can't find this birth on the GRO index.

I think the problem revolves around the fact that the birth was illegitimate. I believe the mother's maiden name was HARRISON.

She was baptised as Jane COLEBOURNE at Kintbury, Hungerford in August 1841. Her father was John COLEBOURNE, a labourer, and her mother was Sarah COLEBOURNE.
SDV
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Are you sure Jane was illegitimate? If her parents were John Colbourne and Sarah Harrison who married at Kintbury in 1819.
There is another Colbourn - Mary - with the same ref, Sep 1841 vol 6 page 178. She seems to have been transcribed as Culton on the new GRO index.

The transcriber seems to have had trouble reading the name Colbourn, on the GRO site for Jane it is an ellipsis (...)
..., JANE
Mother's Maiden Surname: HARRISON
GRO Reference: 1841 S Quarter in HUNGERFORD UNION Volume 06 Page 178
ianbee
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby AntonyM » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 pm

If you can't find it in the GRO index, but you do have the reference ...you can go to the "Place an Order" page and submit an order as usual, giving the GRO reference. You will be able to select "pdf copy" as part of the order screen process.
AntonyM
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:12 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:02 pm

AntonyM wrote:If you can't find it in the GRO index

Don't worry, I found her. Whether you can order the pdf with an ellipsis for the surname, I don't know!
ianbee
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:08 pm

ianbee wrote:... The transcriber seems to have had trouble reading the name Colbourn, on the GRO site for Jane it is an ellipsis (...)
..., JANE
Mother's Maiden Surname: HARRISON
GRO Reference: 1841 S Quarter in HUNGERFORD UNION Volume 06 Page 178


So - do tell - given the surname is mandatory, how on earth did you find that?? I feel I'm missing something!
Adrian
AdrianB38
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi
I just entered three dots for surname, but I think one is enough!
I've seen it before, and when I had run out of ideas for Colbourn, gave it a try.
Ian
ianbee
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 pm

ianbee wrote:... I've seen it before, and when I had run out of ideas for Colbourn, gave it a try.
Ian


Well worth remembering that one! Thanks.

Rant warning - I seriously wonder at the mentality of the designers of the new GRO index search. How on earth is anyone supposed to find an index if they play a trick like that? Surname is a mandatory item so the GRO enter a value into the surname index that no-one could ever guess - apart from Black-Belts like Ian! Nor is there any need to make Male / Female a mandatory item - people only did that if the software was so restricted that cutting its load in half was a material advantage. As someone said on the other thread - a search based on year, volume, page would be welcome to deal with this sort of issue.... Etc, etc, et-moan-moan-cetera! :?
Adrian
AdrianB38
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby SDV » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Excellent, but why the change of first name from Jane on FreeBMD to Mary on GRO?

Incidentally, she was known as Annie Jane later in life!
SDV
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 pm

SDV wrote:why the change of first name from Jane on FreeBMD to Mary on GRO?

It's OK, SDV, Mary was a different Colbourn with the same reference.
Jane's surname has not been transcribed on GRO, which is why you couldn't find it, instead it says
"...., Jane"!
Perhaps you could just try to order the pdf in the way that Anthony suggested!

I do agree Adrian, and I can't remember the GRO anywhere telling us about things like this, they have left us to work it out for ourselves. But we are of course grateful for the new indexes, and it gives us something to do!
Ian
ianbee
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 am

AdrianB38 wrote:
ianbee wrote:... I've seen it before, and when I had run out of ideas for Colbourn, gave it a try.
Ian


Well worth remembering that one! Thanks.

Rant warning - I seriously wonder at the mentality of the designers of the new GRO index search. How on earth is anyone supposed to find an index if they play a trick like that? Surname is a mandatory item so the GRO enter a value into the surname index that no-one could ever guess - apart from Black-Belts like Ian! Nor is there any need to make Male / Female a mandatory item - people only did that if the software was so restricted that cutting its load in half was a material advantage. As someone said on the other thread - a search based on year, volume, page would be welcome to deal with this sort of issue.... Etc, etc, et-moan-moan-cetera! :?


The worrying thing about this is that if you type the date of birth as 1841 +/- 0 years you get 5 returns, if you extend the search to 2 years there are 24 results.
It seems the GRO transcribers had problems with many entries.

If you replace the forename with Mary there are 17 returns for the exact date but 72 when the search is +/- 2years.
Seems there is much work to be done to make the new GRO index fit for purpose.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Next

Return to General research queries


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests