Moderator Control Panel ]

Problem with GRO Index

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Problem with GRO Index

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 am

ianbee wrote:Hi
I just entered three dots for surname, but I think one is enough!
I've seen it before, and when I had run out of ideas for Colbourn, gave it a try.
Ian

I’m with Adrian on this one! Why oh why is this not mentioned on the website.
We all learnt that the designers didn’t allow normal wildcards cards like * and ? to be used but who but Ian would think to use ellipsis (...).
I have a long list of people who I found on Freebmd but failed to find on GRO, so I guess I’ll have to revisit them all with this new found knowledge - thanks Ian :D
Mick Loney

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 am

You don't need ellipses just the dots
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:33 am

We do need to use three dots to bring them up.
ianbee

Postby woodchal » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:10 am

Ellipsis, From Wikipedia:-

An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short') is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.
woodchal

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:13 am

woodchal wrote:Ellipsis, From Wikipedia:-

An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short') is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.

If that is a reply to my posting you obviously did not understand the intended pun, oh well.
Perhaps I should have added pun intended to make it obvious.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 pm

I posted this on another forum, and someone replied that it worked
for
M...
S...

but not for
... M...
... D...
Sm...

Could be worthwhile experimenting some more :D
Mick Loney

Postby SDV » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I am getting seriously p**sed off with the GRO index. On FreeBMD there is the death of Annie J BELLINGER [Q4 1912 Wandsworth 1d 724], which I can't locate on the GRO in order to order the PDF. If anyone can locate it for me, I will be most grateful.
SDV

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Sdv,
If you have the GRO reference, that is all you need to order a PDF, you don’t need to find it via a search on GRO first. Login as usual, then click ‘Order a Certificate / PDF’ on home screen and follow instructions in usual way.

All the certificates I have ever ordered were before they introduced the search facility, and that method of ordering is still available, with the additional option of having a PDF.

The introduction of PDF certificate coincided with the introduction of the search facility, but is totally separate and PDFs can be ordered as part of the normal ordering process.

NB There is a small risk of ordering wrong certificate if you haven’t confirmed mothers maiden name using new search facility, but if you are happy, then the risk is minimal.
Mick Loney

Postby AntonyM » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:38 pm

May have been very badly transcribed or just missed, or there is another name on the entry it has been indexed under (but you would expect that to be on FreeBMD as an alternative).

But you can still order it - Just go to the usual "Place an Order" page - use the vol/page reference you have from FreeBMD and select PDF rather than the paper certificate in the "Service Options" section.
AntonyM

Postby SDV » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes, I know. Thanks for replying.

It is just that I am getting very fed up with the GRO. It is difficult to find references, even ones you know! You can't use wildcards or search just by first name. Why do you have to specify male or female? If you don't know the gender and are searching for any child to a specific couple, you end up doing two searches. Actually, more than two since searches are limited to ±2 years. Also the limit of displaying only 255 results, means that you have no idea of how many matches were found, the result you are searching for could be number 256 or 1056.

The GRO indexes need some serious work being done on them to make them more user friendly. And of course, there is still no index for marriages.
SDV

Previous

Return to General research queries