Moderator Control Panel ]

Family background

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family background

Postby Dorothy48 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:29 am

Hi
I'm trying to find out more about my gran eveline. From what I've been told her father was David Joseph Schulman. And he was born in England even though his parents are Russian Jews who imergrated from Germany to England in the late 1800s.
From what I've been told. David Joseph Schulman and his family moved to Scotland. I'm not sure what year. Except he was still at school. Possibly. He then became a news paper reporter.
And he then met Annie O'Brien, and they got married 5th of November 1908.

I'm not sure if this part is correct. But it could be possible That one of David's sisters could be the mother of my gran eveline. If this is true. Why would David adopt his sisters daughter and then move back to England a few year's later.
I do know that he passed away 1921/26 and he is buried in blackley cemetery in the Jewish part of the cemetery. Even though he was born in England in 1883.

I can't seem to find anything about my gran eveline.
Except for something strange which I am trying to find out more about.

When David Joseph Schulman moved to england where he was born. He brought his wife and my gran eveline ( my gran eveline was born 27th February 1911 )

My gran continued to live in England and she married my grandad Alfred evan Jones in 1933.
Then 1937 my mum was born.
On my mum's birth certificate it says name surname and maiden surname of mother.
In that column it says eveline Jones formally hill. Which I don't know where the name comes from
Unless she was married before she married my grandad Alfred evan Jones. And no one knew about it.

My grandad Alfred evan Jones passed away in 1946 my gran eveline then remarried afew months later.
She then had another daughter ( my auntie ) then in 1958 my gran eveline decided to move back to Scotland taking my auntie with her and her new husband.

My gran eveline then passed away in 1998 in a care home.

If there is anything anyone can help me with I really would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time and help.
Yours sincerely
Mrs Dorothy Lucas
Dorothy48

Re: Family background

Postby woodchal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am

Do you have the marriage certificate for Eveline - this could provide more information and might be worth getting.

Name: Alfred E Jones
Registration Date: Oct-Nov-Dec 1933
Registration district: South Manchester
Inferred County: Lancashire
Spouse: Eveline Schulman
Volume Number: 8d
Page Number: 357

Alfred burial is recorded (with birth date) as

BIRTH 27 Sep 1910
Wales
DEATH 9 Aug 1946 (aged 35)
England
BURIAL
Southern Cemetery
Chorlton-Cum-Hardy, Metropolitan Borough of Manchester, Greater Manchester, England
PLOT INon Conformist 835
woodchal

Postby beacon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:36 am

The 1911 Scotland census shows David Joseph Schulman aged 29, Annie aged 33 and Eva Barrett Schulman aged 5 in Aberdeen.
beacon

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 am

The use of Formerly Jones on the birth certificate, does not indicate mother was previously married, but the wording was the normal way to indicate the mother’s maiden name.
If her mother re-married to a Schulman after registering her birth, she may then have adopted her step-father’s surname. I have this situation once or twice in my own tree.
Try looking for her birth /christening under the Hill surname.
Mick Loney

Postby woodchal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am

In 1901 census David Schulman Age 18 is a patient in the Royal Infirmary in Manchester. A birth place of Scotland and he is a waterproof garment maker.

In 1891 census David Shulman age 8 is in Edinburgh and has Father Benjamin Shulman and mother Dina Shulman. It says he was born in Manchester :-

Benjamin Shulman 29
Dina Shulman 32
Rachael Barrats 73
Rebecca Shulman 20
David Shulman 8
Samuel Shulman 6
Dora Shulman 1

It says that Benjamin Shulman and Dina Schulman were both born - (Wat Brit), Russia. Interestingly a “mother” is present Rachael Barrats ( I assume mother-in-law) with the same birth place. Benjamin occupation is given as Water Garment Maker – which confirms that this is the same family.
woodchal

Postby beacon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Gro shows a birth for a David Shoolman first quarter 1883 Prestwich mother’s maiden name Baraitz.
beacon

Postby woodchal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:26 pm

beacon wrote:Gro shows a birth for a David Shoolman first quarter 1883 Prestwich mother’s maiden name Baraitz.

So Dina's maiden name was Baraitz and Rachael was indeed her mother -- Baraitz to Barrats - Russian/Scottish accents is plausible.

There is also Eva in 1911 with Barrett as a middle name
woodchal

Postby postigo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:54 pm

if they were living in the middle of a Jewish community it could be that there was a family "problem" unmarried mother (!) which is why the child was adopted by her uncle in order to ensure there was no scandal, in those days also it was not uncommon for children to be passed around when it became financially difficult to one member to look after a child another family member would take on the responsibility
postigo

Postby woodchal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 pm

You said "From what I've been told her father was David Joseph Schulman" but her maiden name on your mother's birth certificate is Hill. She does appear to have married as a Schulman.

The marriage certificate should say if she was single (or previously married) and give her father's name (or at least what she said). The witnesses might also be interesting to explore.
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Much of this and more covered in responses to a Dorothy on another forum

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784207.0

I have nothing more to add
woodchal

Next

Return to General research queries