Moderator Control Panel ]

William Israel Shute, d. 1917, Calcutta

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Israel Shute, d. 1917, Calcutta

Postby clarksclerks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 am

Is it possible to find out any information about a man who is believed to have changed his name? I'm helping friends with their family research and they have a transcript of an interview with a now-deceased member speaking about her maternal grandfather known as SHUTE. She said: 'My maternal grandfather was born in Wales. He ran away from home and went to India where he met and married my grandmother. He had changed his name to Shute.'

Many of the extended family worked for the Indian railways in the late 19th-early 20th centuries and it has been possible to find out some things about Mr SHUTE from records, mainly on FMP. He married Grace Rosamond BEARD in Howrah, Calcutta, in 1882 with the name Israil William SHUTE and described as a driver with East India Railways. On daughter Ivy Mildred SHUTE’s baptism record in 1885, his name is given as William Israel SHUTE, while on her marriage record in 1903, his name is shown as William John SHUTE. A William Israel SHUTE died in Calcutta on 03 July 1917, aged 69 years. He was described as ‘Inmate of the govt. York House’ and a Salvationist. I think these all relate to the same man and I wonder whether the confusion over his given names relates to his supposed 'created' identity. I could find no records for births/deaths of other children or for Grace (BEARD) SHUTE's death.

There were several other SHUTEs in India at the time and it is also a common name in SW England and to lesser extent in south Wales and I wonder whether SHUTE took the name of a dead friend or colleague, but any ideas on how to find his real name and UK birth would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Eileen
clarksclerks

Re: William Israel Shute, d. 1917, Calcutta

Postby MaureenE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 pm

There are some personnel lists for the EAST INDIAN RAILWAY at the British Library in London, as set out on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page East Indian Railway
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/East_Indian_Railway#Records

There is a FIBIS Fact File available which may give more details, the first page of which is shown on the FIBIS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/fibis.org/ (scroll down)
https://www.fibis.org/store/fibis-books ... 1845-1947/

I am unfamiliar with these records, and I don't know what details would be in these records.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby elsabels » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Eileen
A William Israel SHUTE died in Calcutta on 03 July 1917, aged 69 years. He was described as ‘Inmate of the govt. York House’ and a Salvationist

Small detail, I read it as government Workhouse

According to familysearch.org there are 7 children baptised to the couple named as William Israel/William James SHUTE & Grace Rosamund born in the period 1883 - 1901 have you been in contact with any of their descendents to see what they know?

Grace Rosamona Beard
Mother Maria Emma
Father James John Beard
Birth 04/10/1865 chr Calcutta Bengal India
Baptism 11/12/1865 Calcutta, Bengal, India

Exploring the SHUTE name in India on various sites I came across an Israel SHUTE b 1820 died 1850 Bengal desc in his will as Key Sergeant Town Majors Department for Fort William

His wife was Maria and a child mentioned was Israel Jacob. There is a marriage entry dated 27 July 1846 for widower Israel who shows his father as James, & Maria Hepworth.
I can find one baptised child of the marriage father deceased Eveline Jane bp 27 July 1859 Fort William

There is a recorded death for Israel Shute b 1843 died 25 May 1847 Fort William, is this a son form a prev marriage
Israel indicates his father was James so wondering if there is a connection
elsabels

Postby clarksclerks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Thanks to you both. I will follow up the FIBIS fact file. It is some of the Shute/Beard descendants I am working with who have the belief that Shute was not his real name, although to me it seems feasible that he was the son of the older Israel Shute, so I am wondering whether my friends are a generation out in their memories.

Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby MaureenE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Following one of the links from the Fibiwiki page, Shute, WJ is listed on an 1880 listing of employees.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/6/ ... IR-047.jpg
Appointed 22 October 1873. European.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby elsabels » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Just wondering if the fact that Maria nee Hepworth, SHUTE is William /Israel/ James mother and remarried, he was given the name of the current husband and then reverted to his birth name in later years?
1)Thomas STUBBS 14 Jan 1852
2) Charles BAKER 5 January 1864

Familysearch has children who may be from the later marriages

One child I identified Mary Atkinson STUBBS married the week before William Israel to Grace Rosamond, the entry are next to one another both show Howrah as the village of residence
elsabels

Return to General research queries