Moderator Control Panel ]

James Hamilton

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

James Hamilton

Postby clarkeadh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:46 am

James Hamilton born 1804 in Inishmacsaint, County Fermanagh. I believe his parents to be James Hamilton of Clooncare and Elizabeth Crawford of Inishmacsaint who married in Inishmacsaint September 5, 1803.
Please can anyone provide conformation of this and information of the Hamilton family in Clooncare and before.
James (b.1804) became a Drummer Boy in the Royal Artillery in 1812 at the age of eight and served until his death in January, 1861. James was my G G Grandfather.
clarkeadh

Re: James Hamilton

Postby shanew147 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:28 pm

do you know what denomination your Hamilton family were ?

Church of Ireland historic records for the parish go back to about 1660, and the originals are held the the Public Records Office (PRONI) in Belfast, these records do not appear to be available online anywhere at the moment.

There are a number of possible Catholic Parishes for Inishmacsaint civil parish depending on exactly where in the parish the family lived, unfortunately none have records back far enough for James - Inishmacsaint/Churchhill/Union or parish of Bundoran which has baptism records back to 1848, Pettigoe/Carn which has baptism records back to the 1850s, and Devenish/Union of Derrygonnelly which also has records back to about 1853.
shanew147

Postby clarkeadh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am sure that James was Protestant. He married in a Parish church near the R.A. base at Woolwich and his son, another James, became a missionary in West Africa
clarkeadh

Postby shanew147 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:24 pm

There were a number of Protestant denominations - Church of Ireland, Methodist, Presbyterian etc but I presume 'The Parish Church' near Woolwich would refer to the established Church i.e. Church of England, equivalent to Church of Ireland here.

The Tithe records, which are dated 1834 for this area, show three properties with the surname Hamilton (transcript from IGP-Web) :
Cas. Hamilton Tonagh
Rev. H. Hamilton (& tenants) Caldrum (Glebe)
Rev. Hugh Hamilton, Benmore (Glebe) (possibly a second property of the person above)

Tithe payments only applied to certain types of agricultural land, so do not include everyone, but might be worth considering the names and locations...

The later Primary Valuation (Griffith's) is dated 1862 shows about 10 Hamilton properties in the Fermanagh section of the parish (parts of the civil parish of Inishmacsaint extend into Co. Donegal).
shanew147

Postby clarkeadh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you for your replies. Regretfully all your references refer to later dates. 1803 and earlier is
my need. Hamiltons arrived in Ireland at the time of the "Plantation" or before and it would be nice to connect that far back. Maybe!!
clarkeadh

Return to General research queries