Moderator Control Panel ]

Unusual annotation on 1939 Register

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Unusual annotation on 1939 Register

Postby Jenburd » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi everyone!

This is my first post (I'm ashamed to say!) but I was looking for some kind of help and advice regarding the 1939 Register. I'll try to keep this as short as I can but basically my Nan (Joan Hodgson née Beard) was born in 1933 and adopted in 1936 - I'm struggling to actually find anything out for the adoption mum or the birth mum. I've found my Nan on the 1939 Register living as a visitor in Billericay, Essex with a Laura Beard born in 1912 (annotation next to Laura in address column shows as "Hay Med 23 5 61 SY M (310)". When I was younger I knew Nan had a sister called Laura. First off I was wondering if the Laura Beard on the Register would be the adopted Mum and secondly there are 2 names above my Nan and Laura (Dennis b. 1939 and Anne). The record above Anne says it is officially closed, but next to Anne in the address column it literally says "STOP! Refer all (looks like) pigs (?!) to Mr Jennings".

Has anyone seen this before or could anyone guess what it means!

I do have a copy of the Register if anyone wanted to see it to try and make sense of it all! (Wasn't sure whether it would be ok to post it on here or not).

Sorry to go on but I'm at a real brick wall with Nan and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jenny
Jenburd

Re: Unusual annotation on 1939 Register

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Jenny, is the Joan M. Beard registered in Lambeth Jun Q 1933 your grandmother? Mother's maiden name Smith.
Does the surname Allen mean anything to you, written next to Laura Beard? I checked FreeBMD but could not find a Laura Beard to Allen marriage or vice versa.
DianaCanada

Postby Jenburd » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:54 pm

DianaCanada wrote:Jenny, is the Joan M. Beard registered in Lambeth Jun Q 1933 your grandmother? Mother's maiden name Smith.
Does the surname Allen mean anything to you, written next to Laura Beard? I checked FreeBMD but could not find a Laura Beard to Allen marriage or vice versa.

I've never actually found the Birth Index for Nan; I've got the Marriage and Death Index. She was born in Lambeth at the end of March 1933, but I guess the birth may not have been registered for a couple of months. The strange thing is on the Ancestry website there is one lady who has my Nan in her tree and she has the mother down as Margaret Smith. I messaged her but she hasn't been online for me to ask anything further.

The 2 names at the top of the Register; Harry & Georgina Knight, do ring a bell as my Mum has said Nan mentioned something about an Uncle Harry. It's all so difficult but if that lady comes back to me I'm hoping she can give me some information as it looks like Margaret Smith may be the natural mother?

Thanks for replying.

Jenny
Jenburd

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Jenburd wrote:
DianaCanada wrote:Jenny, is the Joan M. Beard registered in Lambeth Jun Q 1933 your grandmother? Mother's maiden name Smith.

I've never actually found the Birth Index for Nan; I've got the Marriage and Death Index. She was born in Lambeth at the end of March 1933, but I guess the birth may not have been registered for a couple of months. The strange thing is on the Ancestry website there is one lady who has my Nan in her tree and she has the mother down as Margaret Smith. I messaged her but she hasn't been online for me to ask anything further.

The 2 names at the top of the Register; Harry & Georgina Knight, do ring a bell as my Mum has said Nan mentioned something about an Uncle Harry. It's all so difficult but if that lady comes back to me I'm hoping she can give me some information as it looks like Margaret Smith may be the natural mother?

Thanks for replying.

Jenny

The Register entry you cited has Joan's b.d. as 25 Mar 1933 which matches the Joan registered in Lambeth. There are also two Joan M. Beards registered in the March Q in Birmingham and Nottingham districts.
The June Q actually begins on April 1 so a baby born at the end of March would have been very likely registered in the June quarter.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:39 pm

Did you notice the D under Laura's marital status? That indicates divorced.
I looked for a Laura Beard birth registration that would cover the given birthdate but there wasn't one, nor was there a Laura Allen for the right quarter.
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 am

On the 1939 register The V under the column OVSPI is interesting. From something I read on Findmypast the OVSPI is for institutional use only (Officer, Visitor, Servant, Patient, Inmate).

So what kind of institution?

So then if you look on pages around you see that they are all Central Park Road, with a Lodge name following. The address includes "Anchrorage" and on the page before there is Winnipeg.

It might be worth finding out if there was an "institution" in Central Park Road (perhaps managed by a Mr Jennings)
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:30 am

One reading of this is that Laura was actually Laura Knight, born 12 Oct 1912 and that she married a Mr Allen who she divorced and then married a Mr Beard.

There is a Laura L M Knight born to a Harry Knight and Georgina (nee King) registered in Oct-Dec 1912 in West Ham (so that fits!)

A tree on ancestry (with no citation) has her married to a Reginald Allen in 1936, who had a daughter Laura A Allen born in 1940, so that could fit.

Maybe when she married a “Beard” and she adopted a daughter from a her husbands previous marriage. This Joan Margaret Beard was already living with her and her parents in 1939, while Mr Beard was away.
Last edited by woodchal on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:10 pm

I checked for a marriage in FreeBMD for a Laura Allen, Allan, and Knight but could not find a marriage to a Beard. Also checked the surname match of Allen/Beard and Knight/Beard but no joy. Of course the index does have missing entries.
Is it possible Laura lived but did not marry Mr. Beard later? Would the NHS have then entered her as Beard? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was the NHS that added the married names later.

If Joan's mother was a Smith, there was a William J. Beard marriage to Margaret Smith in Lambeth in 1932. I found another Beard/Smith child born in Lambeth - Mavis L. Beard in 1937.
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Diana

To me it looks like Allen was added to correct the fact that she wasn't a Knight by that stage but should go under her divorced but married name. (rather than a NEW marriage to an Allen)

I believe that Beard would only have been added if she got married to a Mr Beard - but I'm no expert on this.

William J Beard and Margaret Smith might be worth pursuing. I wonder what name is given for the father on Joan's marriage certificate.
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:06 pm

woodchal wrote:Diana

To me it looks like Allen was added to correct the fact that she wasn't a Knight by that stage but should go under her divorced but married name. (rather than a NEW marriage to an Allen)

I believe that Beard would only have been added if she got married to a Mr Beard - but I'm no expert on this.

William J Beard and Margaret Smith might be worth pursuing. I wonder what name is given for the father on Joan's marriage certificate.

I have not been able to find a Laura Knight/Allen marriage to a Mr Beard, however there is a birth registered in 1940 in Brentwood, which includes Billericay: Laura Beard, mother's maiden name Knight. This would be worth pursuing, as well!
It was mentioned in the original post that Joan had a sister Laura.
DianaCanada

Next

Return to General research queries