Moderator Control Panel ]

Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Postby JaneyH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:35 am

Last weekend I went to the London Family History Show, where one of the speakers was Chris Baker - creator of the ‘Long, Long Trail’ website. He gave an excellent talk on how to research a WW1 soldier, including a guide to which records are available on which websites.

In passing, he mentioned that the pension records currently held by the Western Front Association will be available “shortly” on Ancestry. I previously paid (I think) £45 to obtain my great-grandfather’s records so this is a welcome step forward. Unless, of course, they end up on Fold3 instead of Ancestry proper.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:56 am

Yes, you can read about it here
http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... -underway/

The hopeful thing is that there is no mention of Fold3 (although I guess they will also be on there even if they do go on ancestry)
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:06 am

Um. So far as I can see, Fold3 remains a risk. The fact that it isn't mentioned doesn't seem that encouraging to me, as Ancestry seems to regard Fold3 as being a part of Ancestry in the wider sense. I have no doubt that the indexes to the pension records will be in Ancestry proper so any announcement will need to be read carefully.

Whatever happens, I have no intention of buying a subs to Fold3 - there's nothing like enough UK stuff to make it worthwhile.

Well, all that was nice and cheery. Perhaps I should go and practice my Private Fraser.... "We're dooomed, Cap'n Mainwaring, doomed I say!" (Rolls eyes).

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:21 am

Unless I've got this wrong, ancestry filmed the medal index cards (both sides of them!) after they had come into the hands of the WFA. So they have worked with them before.
I would think back in 2008 ancestry did not own Fold3 (was it then Footnote.com?), but, anyway, the MIC's are actually free to view on ancestry. Not saying that the pension records will be free (except to WFA members), but it's possible perhaps that WFA have insisted they go on ancestry?
Ian
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:45 am

Here’s hoping, Ian!

JaneyH

Postby MaureenE » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:32 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
Whatever happens, I have no intention of buying a subs to Fold3 - there's nothing like enough UK stuff to make it worthwhile.

For anyone interested in Military history, Fold3 has a large number of military books to read online, most of them being copies of Naval & Military Press reprints. Some of the Fold3 online books are not available online elsewhere (as far as I am aware).

I think probably the books relating to WW1 are probably the largest category. There are many Military Operations Official Histories, regimental histories including Indian Army regimental histories etc. Also the 1921 HMSO publication of 823 pages in a reprint edition: Reports by the Joint War Committee and the Joint War Finance Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St. John of Jerusalem in England on voluntary aid rendered to the sick and wounded at home and abroad and to British prisoners of war 1914–1919, with appendices

Confusingly, the Military Books, whatever the period are located in the Fold3 category World War II
https://www.fold3.com/browse/251/hTGb85NZ8
They are then classified according to country, but some aren't classified accurately.

You don't have to be a subscriber to look at what is there. Some of the titles are rather short, and no author is given. As all the books seem to be Naval & Military Press reprints, you can look on that website https://www.naval-military-press.com to get more information about a book.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Well guess what. It's just launched and the images are only on Fold3.

Afraid that the WFA aren't going to get much commission if that's an element of their payment.

:evil:

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Very disappointing! I have no problem in paying extra for record sets from other countries, but it really irks me that Ancestry are doing this for UK records. Even more so given the subject matter of these records and the fact that we’re only a month off the centenary of the Armistice.

Oh, and I can’t find my great-grandfather’s record in there either. I know it exists as I paid the Western Front Association for a copy a couple of years ago.

JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Does anyone know if TNA at Kew have access to Fold3 images on the public terminals?

I just left this on the Ancestry UK Facebook page
Get this Ancestry - I have ZERO intention of buying a subs to Fold3. You have virtually no content on there that isn't a/v elsewhere outside these Pension Records. Further, when I go to my "Upgrade Options" to see what that extra, upgrade cost would be, it just has "Special Pricing" above an "Upgrade" button. You can't even be bothered to write the extra price down... At a guess, that's bordering on limits of illegality since you haven't told me the extra cost before I press the "Upgrade" button (you do, after all, have my credit card).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Sorry if I raised any false hopes.
Is Fold3 available at TNA? I don't know. I think it might be available at LDS family history centres, if so that should include the London one.

Is this it, the index on ancestry?
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61588

JaneyH wrote:I can’t find my great-grandfather’s record in there either. I know it exists as I paid the Western Front Association for a copy a couple of years ago.

Are there any soldiers there, Janey? I can't see anyone I know of. Ancestry mention Merchant Marine Cards and Naval Ledgers. Perhaps a lot more to come later.
Ian
EDIT - The announcement about the new release on the WFA website.
http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... -ancestry/

No mention of fold3 again! Rather misleading.
ianbee

Next

Return to Genealogy chat