Moderator Control Panel ]

Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:18 am

In my grumpiness, I hadn't noticed the coverage. According to the WFA press release that Ian links to, this is just a first and very small tranche of naval records only.

I have, incidentally, no feeling for what overall percentage of personnel or their dependents got pension awards - bearing in mind that many awards, looking at the service papers, were short term, temporary payments.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks, Ian and Adrian. In my grumpiness I didn’t look properly to see what had been added so far, and you’re right that there are no Army records yet.

In my GGF’s case he only served for about 15 months and (I think) never left the UK, but the record was updated until 1930. It therefore includes addresses, medical notes and changes to the pension awarded. Just arriving at work now but I’ll look it out this evening for anyone interested.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 am

In fairness to ourselves only the WFA make it clear what's going on. The Ancestry release does if you read it very carefully but since Ancestry press releases, like all press releases, don't think we can be trusted to understand details and frequently misuse technical terms, I didn't bother parsing every phrase.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Revisiting this...

I have just established that the Society of Genealogists Library in London doesn't have access to Fold3. (I have seen it said that LDS Affiliate Libraries, which the SoG Library is, if I recall correctly, have Fold3 access. Well, not in this case). What the SoG said was:
The Society has free access in our lower library to a number of different database Ancestry, FindMyPast (you don’t need to use you own log in), British Newspapers online etc., but unfortunately Fold3 isn’t one of the databases that we have access to here.

They did comment that "very occasionally the regular Ancestry website will offer free trials of the Fold3 site", which is true (well, it's happened at least once that I know of).

Anyone know if they have it at Kew? (The Pension records are not National Archives documents).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 am

AdrianB38 wrote: (I have seen it said that LDS Affiliate Libraries, which the SoG Library is, if I recall correctly, have Fold3 access. Well, not in this case).

I am surprised that it has been suggested that Affiliate Libraries have access to fold3, as a result of their LDS Affiliate status, as this link from FamilySearch says
"Affiliate public libraries do not have access to the premium websites found on the Family History Center Services Portal".
https://www.familysearch.org/ask/salesf ... 65&lang=en
I took this to mean that Affiliate Libraries had access to certain digitised microfilms but that was it.

SOG has some online databases which have been donated http://www.sog.org.uk/the-library/internet-access/. If I were a member, I would be asking the Board of Trustees to consider an institutional Subscription to fold3.

It's been a while since I used the facilities at the genealogy Society I belong to, but I seem to remember it had access to a number of different genealogy pay websites, more than SOG seems to have, yet I suspect SOG is much bigger.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ianbee » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 am

This may answer Adrian's question about fold3 at Kew (I'm not good at digesting this kind of thing quickly!)
User Advisory Group Minutes March 2017 - The National Archives
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... 017-03.pdf

Specifically,
Item 4 Delegate submitted items:
4.1 Ancestry/Fold 3 update
including
Post-meeting note: Please note that access to Fold3 is available in TNA Reading
Rooms as confirmed on 17 March 2017. Licensing team has checked and
confirmed that images TNA has licenced to Ancestry are free to access at TNA.

But will that include the pension records the WFA have?
AdrianB38 wrote:The Pension records are not National Archives documents
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 am

Hmm. Thanks Ian.

Logically TNA have responded only about their own stuff - that is all that they are obliged to cover and all that they can make an informed check on. One would like to think that if Fold3 is available at Kew for TNA stuff (as it appears to be) then the full range of Fold3 UK stuff will be. Like to think.... But that report doesn't confirm it.

I don't remember quite how Ancestry and FMP are accessible from Kew - I've only ever used the 1939 from there before it got bundled into the general FMP subscription, so I've no feeling for whether bits are blocked off.

Although I'm working up to investigating one of the very few WW1 officers in my extended family, I'm a way off visiting Kew myself, so if anyone can be a Kew correspondent for us and check that Fold3 access for the WFA pension records, now we know that there is at least some access, I'm sure we'd all be grateful!

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Well, there is free access to stuff on Fold3 right now.
So far ancestry have not added to those pension records.
The naval ones they have, when I click on the link to F3 to view the image it says
"Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!"
Try returning to the homepage.

I found a chap with a relatively uncommon looking name (no relation!)...
Name: Roland Ogden
Marriage Date: 19 Oct 1910
Death Date: 9 Dec 1916
Service Number: Ply/12361
Title: Naval Pension Ledgers

...so I could find him easily on F3
Yes, 1 result in UK, WWI Pension Ledgers..

But still nothing to see!
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:27 pm

That’s not very encouraging!

I applied directly to WFA for my great-grandfather’s pension records back in 2015. He was in the Army - he served approximately March 1915 to June 1916. There’s a wealth of information there - not only about his service and discharge but his addresses going forward, along with re-assessments of his payments right into the 1930s.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

Update - overnight there has been an update to UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 on ancestry.
But is there free access to the images on Fold3 this weekend?
Ian
ianbee

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat