Moderator Control Panel ]

Omission in recent GRO indexes

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Omission in recent GRO indexes

Postby eurogordi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 am

Ancestry now includes the "All England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2017" in its collection which was presumably provided from official data held by the GRO.

However, so far I have discovered that at least two close relatives who died during this period are not included in the index.

While we are all used to not finding people in earlier indexes, I find it worrying that more recent indexes also appear to omit some people.

Although I have copies of the relevant original death certificates, I was wondering if anyone else has discovered missing relatives in the indexes covering 2007 to 2017.

PS: I have just found another problem with this index as my late sister's date of death is showing as "2 Mar 2017" instead of the correct date "3 Feb 2017". I suspect that this is confusion between US and UK date formatting, but needs to be corrected.
eurogordi

Re: Omission in recent GRO indexes

Postby peter kent » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 am

presumably provided from official data held by the GRO.

It isn't.

The source is stated on the Ancestry search page for that dataset as "GreyPower Deceased Data. compiled by Wilmington Millennium, West Yorkshire".

I believe their source is largely the direct mail suppression database intended to stop junk mail being addressed to dead people. People registering deaths have the option of adding the deceased person's name to that database.

Therefore you can expect errors and omissions.
peter kent

Postby AntonyM » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:59 am

eurogordi wrote:Ancestry now includes the "All England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2017" in its collection which was presumably provided from official data held by the GRO.

A good example of why you should never assume (or presume) anything in genealogy.

As stated - the records you are looking at are nothing to do with GRO but gathered from a range of other sources and far from complete.
AntonyM

Postby meekhcs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm

I have noticed date discrepancies and omissions. They sometimes use the date on which the death was registered, not occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby eurogordi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:34 pm

I did see Wilmington Millennium, West Yorkshire quoted as the original source, but assumed that the data would have still been provided by GRO.

I was involved in registering one of the omitted deaths, but don't remember being given an option to be added to the database. I guess there were more important things to think about at that time!
eurogordi

Postby eurogordi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 pm

[quote="meekhcs"]I have noticed date discrepancies and omissions. They sometimes use the date on which the death was registered, not occurred.

In my late sister's case the date of death is definitely wrong as the funeral happened within a week and the death registration must be completed. Someone has obviously got their US and UK dating formats confused!!
eurogordi

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 am

eurogordi wrote: ...
I was involved in registering one of the omitted deaths, but don't remember being given an option to be added to the database. ...

I remember something intended to give you the ability to report the death once to the council (?) and that would, behind the scenes, trigger lots of other reports.

Slightly dangerous because I'm doing this by memory but I have an idea that another contributing source might be newspaper reports. That may also account for date discrepancies because the format and content of such reports will vary so you might not get dates of death in some cases, only the date of the funeral or the date of the publication of the newspaper or....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:00 am

Similarly the Scottish indexes only has (it is said) about 45% of entries and Scotland's People do not put deaths online for 50 years to avoid id fraud.
junkers

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 am

Put a couple of names of people who died 3 Feb 2017 (according to the index on ancestry) into the probate calendar and date of death was 2 March.
Then tried a few who it said died 2 March 2017 and the probate calendar said 3 February!
They're OK with 14 March.

eurogordi wrote:I suspect that this is confusion between US and UK date formatting, but needs to be corrected.

Could be!
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:58 am

junkers wrote:Similarly the Scottish indexes only has (it is said) about 45% of entries and Scotland's People do not put deaths online for 50 years to avoid id fraud.

Um. Not sure what you mean by "Scottish indexes" but I'm pretty sure ScotlandsPeople has the complete set of indexes from the GRO(S) up to date - not sure of the exact cut off, but it's not long ago. So far as I know, the GRO(S) didn't panic about releasing the recent indexes, unlike the GRO (England and Wales), possibly because SP is their own facility.

The images of the death certificates are not released on ScotlandsPeople until 50y have passed. Later deaths can be found in the indexes, as I say, but have to be ordered as certified copies at full price. And one of the best things about ScotlandsPeople is that their 50y, etc, limits are rolling forward, every year.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries