Moderator Control Panel ]

Hannah Lea (mother-in-law of Emily Sophia Black) 19th c.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Hannah Lea (mother-in-law of Emily Sophia Black) 19th c.

Postby elsabels » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 pm

John H LEA 44, Coal face Labourer b Gawsworth, Cheshire

In 1861 JHL was living in Duke Street which was near to the railway goods yard / timber yards etc his employment is described as Coal Yard Labourer so I would presume that he was working in the railway yard....we were on steam trains then....

I looked at the census for 1871 re John Street where Hannah said she was residing at the time of her marriage. One of her witnesses was a Harriett Wilde HOUGH who was living at that address in 1871.

The other witness appears to have been a brother Thomas Lea who was baptised 3 April 1842 parents John Henry & Martha LEA

I have looked for Hannah on the 1861 census and cannot immed see her
elsabels

Postby JMK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:46 am

I've had to reinvent myself as JMK (was JMcK) as site would not let me in. (not cookies this time Rosemary)

1861 census, I think this must be a good contender for Hannah

Birthplace: Stockport, Cheshire
Event Place: Marton, Cheshire, England
Ecclesiastical Parish: Prestbury
Registration District: Macclesfield
Residence Note: Mill Bank
Page Number: 5
Registration Number: RG09
Piece/Folio: 2586 / 74

servant for Lawson family

I would have given you a link to Family Search, but WDYTYA not letting me do that either!
JMK

Postby Elizabeth Nield » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:11 am

A servant? were the Lawsons an aristocratic sort? is there any indication the Lea family knew them? Why would Hannah have ended up working for them? *is hoping she was treated well*
Elizabeth Nield

Postby JMK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:46 am

she is a domestic servant on a Farm employing 2 men. Most farms had a few servants
Nothing aristocratic about it sorry.
JMK

Postby Elizabeth Nield » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am

JMK wrote:she is a domestic servant on a Farm employing 2 men. Most farms had a few servants
Nothing aristocratic about it sorry.

no need to be sorry, just interested. I don't know much about Victorian domestic service - I've got that I suppose somewhat romantic ideal of great houses and a flood of servants at one's beck and call lol. Not romantic for the servants themselves I'm sure, and I've got little idea what Hannah's duties might have been. Cooking and cleaning I guess?
Elizabeth Nield

Postby elsabels » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:36 am

Good find
1861 Farm House most probably now known as Bunce Lane Farm House* Marton, the farmer had 93 acres employing 2 farm servants & 3 farm workers / lab'rs
Most probably hard work

The land maybe rented as opposed to being owned, particularly as Peter Lawton is in Market Drayton Staffs in 1881

For google.maps purposes the postal code is SK11 9HQ, the farm is currently desc as mixed farming and is at the Marton Hall Lane end of Bunce Lane there is a good picture of the farm & buildings
https://www.
geograph.org.uk/more.php?id=2849745
elsabels

Previous

Return to General research queries