Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA testing tests

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA testing tests

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Researchers might like to be aware of this article https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ting-sites
It relates to the possible identification of anonymous IVF donors (the knock on the door, 'you're my dad' syndrome), a case of the technology getting ahead of the regulation and clearly is covered by data protection and other rules. Most people know about being careful about contacting individuals but you might like to be aware of this issue.
junkers

Re: DNA testing tests

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Junkers,

Putting ethics and data protection to one side, I'd love to know which sites they are referring to, where you can find a DNA match with someone who hasn't even taken a DNA Test!

I'm having enough trouble finding matches to those who have taken a test! :D
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Presumably, Mike, you're referring to "Even if you don’t upload your DNA anywhere, you can still be found." Um. I suspect that this may be inspired by the case of the alleged murderer in the USA. If I recall correctly, he hadn't tested with the genealogy site in question, but one or more of his relatives had. This was a close enough match to prompt the police to get a proper sample from him, which had an alleged positive match to the crime scene sample.

If his relatives hadn't tested, or if the sperm donor's relatives haven't tested, then they won't be found. As you say.

Even if the sperm donor's relatives do test, there's no way that anyone can get close enough to the donor, surely, without that crucial final test of the supposed donor. And as I understand it, genealogy DNA tests do not provide evidence of identity - they're not exact enough - without lots of supporting evidence. You'd need a more accurate test to distinguish between you and your brother, say. I think???

So yes, I think that this is a typical piece of journalism. Maybe the woman quoted said a lot more, with a lot more caveats. Or maybe people just like setting hares running... (Assuming that analogy doesn't upset someone!)

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 am

Adrian,
I hadn’t considered that a close relative could have taken a test - makes a bit more sense :D
Mick Loney

Postby Guy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:36 am

junkers wrote:Researchers might like to be aware of this article https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ting-sites
It relates to the possible identification of anonymous IVF donors (the knock on the door, 'you're my dad' syndrome), a case of the technology getting ahead of the regulation and clearly is covered by data protection and other rules. Most people know about being careful about contacting individuals but you might like to be aware of this issue.

One of the comments was from Gudrun Moore, a professor of clinical and molecular genetics at Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, was certainly rabble rousing with her statements about DNA and her naive friends who had been “completely and utterly traumatised about having heart attacks in the future.” Obviously the ignorant woman does not realise that their ancestors death certificates would have revealed the same information.
Perhaps she would advocate genealogists need counselling as well!

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries