Moderator Control Panel ]

William James/David James

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William James/David James

Postby Dia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am

Hi, I have been stuck on these two for years. William James is the father of David James. David was born in 1853 in Llanfyrnach, Wales, and his wife was Rachel Jones. William James was born in, I think in 1827. He got married to Hannah Davies on 21/10/1852 in Llanfernach, Wales. William at the time was listed as living at Tycoed and was the son of John James. Hannah Davies lived at Pengawse and was the daughter of David Davies. Both fathers were labourers.(This was all on the Marriage certificate). I have been unable to find anything about these places.
This is a lot of information on the two parents William and Hannah, but I have been unable to find definite birth for them or other information to further my family tree, please if anyone has suggestions, can you give me ideas. James is such a common name in Wales, Thanking everyone in advance, x
Dia

Re: William James/David James

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:21 pm

I think it is Ty-Coed and Pengawse came up on an Internet search when I tried. Have you tried the local archives office for information?.
junkers

Postby sdup26 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm

As you may know, William and Hannah's marriage certificate is online on FMP, and shows that William was living at Tycoed. This isn't a place, but the name of a farm in Llanfyrnach, owned by John Lewis. In 1841, one of his farm workers was a William James, aged 15 (born about 1826), who appears to be still there in 1851. Also in 1851, Rolandbyll, Llanfyrnach, was a servant called Hannah Davies, aged 20, in the household of Thomas Thomas, farmer.

Welsh surnames and place names can be difficult (sometimes a nightmare!) and if you haven't done so already, it would be a good idea to contact Dyfed Family History Society - www.dyfedfhs.org.uk as they're likely to have Llanfyrnach records that aren't available elsewhere.
sdup26

Postby Dia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Thank you both for your help, this has given me a new line of search
Dia

Postby Dia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 am

I have contacted the Dyfed Family History group and the James family is still living at Pengawse, so they're going to try and contact then for me, once again many thanks for all your help,

Di, x
Dia

Postby sdup26 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Many thanks for telling us what's happening - please get in touch if you find your answer as we'd love to share in the result, which hopefully, will be positive for you!
sdup26

Return to General research queries