Moderator Control Panel ]

WW2 RCAF Francis "Frank" Nield (and brothers-in-law?)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW2 RCAF Francis "Frank" Nield (and brothers-in-law?)

Postby Elizabeth Nield » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello,

I'd like some help in tracking the service record of my paternal grandfather Francis Nield, known as "Frank" during World War 2. I know he served in the RCAF in Canada, and his role had something to do with entertainment but I know very little about it. I'd like to know where he served and when, and what ranks/promotions he may have had. I'm unsure if his brothers-in-law James Bennett (married to sister Hazel) and Alvin Saunders (married to sister Catherine) ever fought in the war, though I believe my great-uncle Alvin was in some branch of the Canadian military. I'd like more information on them, too, if it's there to find.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Nield
Elizabeth Nield

Re: WW2 RCAF Francis "Frank" Nield (and brothers-in-law?)

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Have a look at https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/second-world-war/Pages/introduction.aspx#a1 - it appears to cover all branches of the Canadian military in WW2. There are privacy restrictions but I've not looked what they are.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: WW2 RCAF Francis

Postby Elizabeth Nield » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Have a look at - it appears to cover all branches of the Canadian military in WW2. There are privacy restrictions but I've not looked what they are.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

It looks like the restrictions mean I'd have to send some sort of proof of death and also my relation to my grandfather and great-uncles to find out about them. I don't have any personal papers relating to them so I don't know how I'd go about that. My grandfather died in January 1984, six months before my parents married, and I was born in May 1985. My great-uncles were both from Canada and I've never actually been there, so I don't know anything about them besides their names. :(
Elizabeth Nield

Return to Military help