Moderator Control Panel ]

Emily Sophia Black - parentage & childhood (Victorian era)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Emily Sophia Black - parentage & childhood (Victorian er

Postby Elizabeth Nield » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:40 am

woodchal wrote:Felix's First world war record has his name as Felix William Blach, which I assume is a transcription error, with a birth date of 1878 and marriage date 27 May 1901 to Florence Annie Keen (mis transcription I think), living at 16 Wilton Cottages, Taylor Street Leicester.

The form is a Short Service Attestation and his regimental Number was 17831, various others are mentioned (with obvious transcription errors) - I think the fact that he names one of his daughters Blanche confirms it as being your man

Felix William Blach Self (Head) Spouse
William Arthur Blach Child
Doris Mabel Blach Child
Gladys Edith Blach Child
Blanche Revella Blach Child
Effie Georgina Blach Child

In the 1939 "pre-war" register I think we see him as Felix W Black, Male, Married, Birth Date 2 Sep 1875 in Leicester City Mental Hospital Humblistone, Leicester. Occupation- Incapacitated-Builders Labourer.

Wow...so he and Florence had five children. That's a big family...I was telling my mother what had been found out so far and she said she's surprised Florence wasn't the one who'd gone crazy, five kids would have done that to her. (She just has the two of us, me and my sister, and says that's more than enough lol.)

Was Felix able to provide well for them as a builders labourer before being put in the asylum? Do we know if his wife worked? How old were his children by then?
Elizabeth Nield

Postby elsabels » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:18 am

Blanche Rosella BLACK gives a date of birth on the 1939 register as 21 April 1879 indicating that the birth entry should be in the q June1879. Even with this info I cannot find a birth entry
Death entry suggests circa 1880

Baptised as Blanche Rosalie Black 23 June 1881 at St Mary Peterborough the address given is Garden Row, same as 1881 census

The entry below is for Ann Maria Manning d/o Joseph & Ann Mary, suggesting that mother of Blanche, Elizabeth and brother Joseph Manning had their daughters baptised on the same day!
elsabels

Postby elsabels » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm

SMITH, FLORENCE MANNING
GRO Reference: 1891 S Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 246

Baptised 17 Aug 1891 d/o Thomas deceased & Elizabeth 11 Nelson Sq Leicester ( Thomas desc as joiner
familysearch.org

It is likely that Florence will only appear on the 1901 & 1911 census

SMITH, SOPHY MANNING
GRO Reference: 1889 M Quarter in PETERBOROUGH Volume 03B Page 231

Sophy should appear on 1891/ 1901 / 1911

1891 family is at RG13; Piece: 2987; Folio: 155; Page: 6

3 Court A Graven Street
Elizabeth BLACK aged 57 B Leicester
Florence Smith 29
Sophia Smith 22

According to Florence's baptism father THomas was deceased by Aug 1891 this is the closest I can find a suitable one to that date
Deaths Jun 1889
Smith Thomas 40 Leicester 7a 159
elsabels

Postby Elizabeth Nield » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Sorry, have had a stressful time of it lately. Coming back to see what's been going on here.

It looks like Elizabeth Manning was widowed twice in a relatively short space of time. Is that a common thing during that time period, is she just particularly unlucky or should I be suspicious of my great-great-grandmother? Did she marry a third time?
Elizabeth Nield

Previous

Return to General research queries