Moderator Control Panel ]

Duplicate entries on parish register???

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Duplicate entries on parish register???

Postby MarkDenby » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi, I've found that on the 1782 parish registers for Bingley, All Saints Church, there seems to be duplicate entries for baptisms for 1782. Not just in the ancestry indexes but actually on the images themselves.

For instance, the person I'm looking at is John Denby born 12 June 1782, baptised 14 July 1782, son of Jonas Denby.

he appears once in the attached image 2 and again in image 19 as found on the filmstrip for 1782.

The source for both these images are stated as 'West Yorkshire Archive Service; Wakefield, Yorkshire, England; Yorkshire Parish Records'

So I don't think one is from the register and the other from the bishops transcripts

Any ideas why the warden would have listed details for the same year / same parish twice?

Thanks, Mark
Attachments
Bingley1782Image19.jpg
Bingley 1782 Image 19
Bingley1782Image19.jpg (266.24 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Bingley1782Image2.jpg
Bingley 1782 Image 2
Bingley1782Image2.jpg (446.95 KiB) Viewed 908 times
MarkDenby

Re: Duplicate entries on parish register???

Postby junkers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Is one from the Bishop's Transcripts?.
junkers

Postby MarkDenby » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi
I checked the source of the document and it says

West Yorkshire Archive Service; Wakefield, Yorkshire, England; Yorkshire Parish Records

Doesn’t mention the bishops transcript.

When you page through the register it appears as one document
MarkDenby

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Since you have the references at the bottom of the images on Ancestry, it makes sense to look at the catalogue for West Yorkshire Archive Service http://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/advanced.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

The 2 references start with 5D94 - of course those aren't the current references so you have to search on Bingley All Saints to find something that looks like them.

5D94/1/1/5 becomes
Catalogue Finding Number BDP7/1/1/5
Office record is held at Bradford, West Yorkshire Archive Service
Title Register of baptisms and burials
Description Baptisms 1779-1792 Burials 1775-1792
Date 1775-1792
Extent 1 volume

5D94/1/7/4 becomes
Catalogue Finding Number BDP7/1/7/4
Office record is held at Bradford, West Yorkshire Archive Service
Title Copy register
Description of baptisms, burials & banns
Date 1781-1793
Extent 1 volume

So already we learn that the 2nd image is a Copy Register, not just repeated pages. Unfortunately, as Mark says, if you scroll through the pages, it all looks like one physical source - even though the references change and the format changes (it's pre-printed marriages at one point). Clearly these are different physical books but either the original photographer or Ancestry have ignored the front pages.

Nor is the BDP7 entry much better - while giving a commendable history, it only mentions "duplicate and transcript registers 1723-1849". So I've no idea why the two sets are there, after all that, other than to confirm these are not BTs. I have seen duplicate registers elsewhere when the "other" copy was labelled as a draft register - but you'd be hard pushed to say that one of these was a draft and the other a neat copy! Having said that, the entry for Amey Wildman, bap 16 May 1782, is unusually in very shaky hand writing in the BDP7/1/7/4 book but the same writing as the rest in the BDP7/1/1/5 book, suggesting that the BDP7/1/7/4 book is indeed the earlier book, on the basis that if you were making a duplicate, it would all be in one hand.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:27 pm

It is not uncommon, parish registers are transcript of entries in the day book, the clerks and clerics were human and made the same errors as modern day transcribers, another reason for duplicates of large sections of the registers was when the incumbent decided he wanted to tidy up the register.
Some parishes have up to four "copies" of the register (not counting the Bishops transcripts) for long periods of time.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries