Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with the translation of an old Dutch profession - modew

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help with the translation of an old Dutch profession - modew

Postby l.fransham » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi I wondered if anyone can help me with the translation of the Dutch word "modew." I think I have found my 3x great grandfather in a Dutch directory living in Nieuwstraat, Rotterdam in 1838. I presume that "modew" is either an old Dutch word or an abbreviation as I can't find a modern translation for this word. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Nathans 1838 Rotterdam.jpg
Nathans 1838 Rotterdam.jpg (167.01 KiB) Viewed 889 times
l.fransham

Re: Help with the translation of an old Dutch profession - m

Postby PaulH01 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:00 pm

I think there is a dot after Modew. which could mean it's an abbreviation.

From my knowledge of German, Modewaren = fashion goods, and I was pleased to see it's the same in Dutch. So that might be your answer.
PaulH01

Postby l.fransham » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:29 pm

PaulH01 wrote:I think there is a dot after Modew. which could mean it's an abbreviation.

From my knowledge of German, Modewaren = fashion goods, and I was pleased to see it's the same in Dutch. So that might be your answer.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I think you may be right. As I was posting this I had a brainwave thinking too it may be an abbreviation. I was thinking "modewerker" meaning something like clothing worker (perhaps in a factory) which amounts to the same thing. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.
l.fransham

Postby PaulH01 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes, much more likely to be modewerker.
PaulH01

Return to General research queries