Moderator Control Panel ]

Found Identity Card - Douglas Stuart Gibson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Found Identity Card - Douglas Stuart Gibson

Postby ermin79 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 pm

I am trying to help someone reunite an old identity card with any family members or even the original owner. The finder of the card had travelled through the Home Counties and into London on a very rainy day and found the document when they arrived home in their car's wheel arch.

The document appears to have been attached to a collective passport and was issued in 1957 to Douglas Stuart Gibson. The address is in Malton, N Yorks. The photo appears to have been overstamped in London in 1964? The image in the picture looks to be a young man aged in his late teens / early 20s.

What has been found so far:

At the address in 1939 are George H Thornton (born 1897) and his wife Dorothy (nee Wilson, born 1900). Their son is also resident and there is a readacted entry presumably for their younger child.

I have found four Douglas S Gibson's born in England And Wales 1917 - 1941 (guessing on approximate age). All are now deceased.

1917 Prescot died in infancy
1918 Nottingham died in infancy
1925 Birmingham N. middle name Samuel
1932 Pickering middle name Sydney

Have checked Scotland there is only one in the same time period, but spelt Douglas Stewart. He is also deceased. Also looked for births of a Stuart D Gibson (in case names were swapped around) but there’s none until 1948.

The Douglas who died in 1994 in Richmond, Surrey, has also been eliminated from the search as relatives have been contacted.

Douglas S Gibson on Companies House records is too young to be the man.

The finder has shared it on Facebook in public and on groups for the potential counties of origin and where it may have been picked up from. The attached image is the inside and front cover, the back cover is blank.

Can any one suggest any other avenues, or possible clues from the paperwork please? Any new avenues would be gratefully received thank you
Attachments
Douglas S Gibson.jpg
inner
Douglas S Gibson.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
dsgibsoncover.jpg
Front cover
dsgibsoncover.jpg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
ermin79

Re: Found Identity Card - Douglas Stuart Gibson

Postby ermin79 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:30 pm

*Addition* Have also checked out the one born 1942 in Essex and I think he has the wrong middle name too. I can find no other births in the right time frame in England, Wales, Ireland or Scotland. Keep thinking I must be missing something!
ermin79

Postby fhb » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 am

Checking what a collective passport is I looked at the government website. I get the impression it would possibly have been used for a school group to travel abroad and each member must have such an ID card. That with the uniform makes me think he was an army cadet (maybe in a secondary school) when he travelled in 1957 . As he is a corporal my guess would be he was born aound 1942. Maybe he was at school at Malton in N.Yorks?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
fhb

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:40 pm

ermin79 wrote:The address is in Malton, N Yorks.

ermin79 wrote:At the address in 1939 are George H Thornton (born 1897) and his wife Dorothy (nee Wilson, born 1900). Their son is also resident and there is a readacted entry presumably for their younger child.

What you seem to have there is a household in Newbiggin in Richmond, Yorkshire, in 1939, whereas you want the one in Malton? There are several about!
At the same number in Malton in 1939 were
Harold Longster, b. 23 Aug 62, Married, Seedsman + Grower
Sarah A Longster, 9 Sep 75, Married, Unpaid Domestic Duties

They died within two days of each other in January 1947. Probate for both.

ianbee wrote:1956 Telephone Directory, York Area, has
Gibson G. Walter, Glengarriff, Newbiggin.......Malton 198

EDIT
The Gibson family of "Glengarriff", Newbiggin, Malton, is currently under review. Sorry about that.
A daughter of this G W Gibson married in 1955.
Not really convinced that it might be the same house.
ianbee

Postby ermin79 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Thank you both:

fhb - I think I can make out a very faint print on the bottom line: Status - County Cadet (?) ... , North Riding of York which would tie in with what you found about collective passports. The man could be younger than i originally though, but I can find no corresponding birth registrations. Frustrating. I am not entirely sure how I could proceed with a link to army cadets either, particularly as its such recent past. I think the finder has shared the image around Malton community groups though, so hopefully it might ring bells with someone.

ianb - yes you are right, I had a tricky time to find Newbiggin full stop and had no idea there was more than one! It is definitely the one in Malton that is on the passport. I will take a look at both the Longster's and the G W Gibson you found and see if i can progress from there.
ermin79

Return to General research queries