Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to help a friend

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Trying to help a friend

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Today we met up with an old friend we don't see very often as he lives at the other end of the country
from us. He has asked for my help .He was born in Liverpool. His father was in the navy during WW2.
His father was killed when the ship he was serving on was sunk by the germans.He was only a tot when his dad was killed.He would like to know more about his dads navy career.The only thing he knows is the name of the ship he died on.Now for the question,can anyone suggest a good websight for WW2 navy kin that would give him a start.Thanks
Grace :)
Amazinggrace

Re: Trying to help a friend

Postby meekhcs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Google the name of the ship if you haven’t done so. His naval records would be held by the MOD but as his heir he can apply for them and they should give a full history of his service. I think you apply to somewhere in Portsmouth butch the Royal Navy museum has a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby brunes08 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:10 pm

I obtained my father-in-law's naval service records quite easily. However, I did have a lot of information to help with the application. If your friend goes to www.gov.uk and searches for 'Copy of military service records' he will be able to scroll down to find the link to Royal Navy / Royal Marines. He will be able to download the appropriate form. The cost for the search is £30 but in my case it was well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks Brunes08 and Meekhcs,
I will pass that information on. I did my dads army service record last year and it was £30 but as you
say it was well worth it.Even for the details of a fine, He always told us to be careful driving. On his record he was fined for damaging an MOD vehicle to the pricely sum of 3shillings!!
Thank You both
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries