Moderator Control Panel ]

Which Osmond John Evans married Florence Bennett?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which Osmond John Evans married Florence Bennett?

Postby JaneyH » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 pm

I have two ancestors in my tree both called Osmond John Evans. The spelling of the first name varies on records, and is variously Osmond, Osmand, Osman and even Ashborne.

Osmond 'A' was born in Westbury-on-Severn in Gloucestershire April 1874, and baptised 27 August 1874. His parents were Edwin Evans (carpenter) and Mary Ann. I have him with parents in the 1881 and 1891 Censuses; no joy so far with 1901 (Boer War?) then a boarder in the household of Elizabeth Fields in Cinderford in 1911. He died in 1949 aged 75 and is buried in Westbury-on-Severn.

Osmond 'B' was born in Westbury-on-Severn in Gloucestershire October 1891, and baptised 28 October 1891. His parents were Walter Evans (blacksmith) and Ellen. (Walter is the brother of Osmond A, making the two Osmonds uncle and nephew.) I have him with parents in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses. He died in 1975, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. So far, so good - definitely two different people.

The first problem comes with WW1 army service. There's a medal index card and medal roll record for Private Osman John Evans, service number 18090, having served in different battalions of the Gloucestershire Regiment. I think it most likely - based purely on ages - that the army service records belong to the younger Osmond B. However, I have no proof.

The second problem comes with marriage. An Osman John Evans married Florence Elizabeth Bennett in December 1920 in Westbury-on-Severn, but which one? I know from the Gloucestershire free BMD website that it was a Register Office wedding, so parish registers will be of no help. A little further on, the electoral registers for 1925 and 1926 have an Osman Evans living alone at Bilson Green, Cinderford, and and Osmand Evans and Florence Elizabeth Evans living at Cinderhill, Ruardean. There's also a burial of an Osman Frank Evans, aged 21 days, in April 1929 in Ruardean - very likely the son of Osman and Florence ... but which Osman?

Move forward to the 1930s and there's a death register entry for a Florence E Evans in 1936, aged 41, along with a burial in Ruardean. The burial notes she was resident in an isolation hospital. In the 1939 Register I've found Osmand J Evans (widowed) living with children Albert and Harold, along with a couple of redacted entries, at 8 Council Houses, Ruardean. This seems a good match for the widower of Florence, although the dob is transcribed as 1 Dec 1881 - which doesn't match either Osman A or Osman B. Osman B was baptised 28 October 1891 so even if there's an error between 1891 and 1881 the December dob still doesn't fit.

I think my only option is to buy the marriage certificate that would include the groom's father's name and settle this one properly. However, I thought I'd see is anyone here could find another avenue first. Personally, I think it more likely that it was Osman B that married Florence, on the basis of similarity of ages.

All ideas, as ever, much appreciated.
JaneyH

Re: Which Osmond John Evans married Florence Bennett?

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:38 pm

1939 on findmypast has Oxman J Evans, born 8 July 1874, in East Dean R.D., on ancestry seems to be Isman J Evans.
At 26 Barley Corn Square
Maybe this could be one of your Osmonds.

18090 - there is an O Evans on findmypast, in Army Service Records (WO 363), haven't seen it, it may just be a one page list of men, something like that. May not even be your chap.
O J Evans, Cinderford, with that reg number, is in the casualty lists in August 1917
Do check electorals 1918-19 if available.
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks ianbee. While I’ve worked with a few name variations my searches haven’t extended to Oxman or Isman. I’ll look at these - along with the FMP military record - tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:28 am

JaneyH wrote:I’ll look at these - along with the FMP military record - tomorrow.

Don't bother with the military record! We have occasionally had some useful info from those scraps in the past, but not this time.
Ian
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:50 am

I've now looked at this properly and the new 1939 Register entry helps enormously. The dob of 8 July 1874 is spot-on for Osman A (I made an error in my original post saying born Apr 1874 but checking back I see it was Jul 1874).

The fact that there's a single Osman born 1874 in Cinderford and a widowed Osman (with an annoying wrong birth date) in Ruardean points to Osman B being the one who married Florence Bennett. Incidentally, she had a little brush with the law, as I've turned up a newspaper report from 1932:

Unfortunately there are no immediate post-WW1 electoral registers for the Forest of Dean - I've looked before for other ancestors in the area and have been in touch with Gloucestershire Archives too.
Attachments
Gloucester Citizen 15 Oct 1932 Florence Bennett.JPG
Gloucester Citizen 15 Oct 1932 Florence Bennett.JPG (73.89 KiB) Viewed 766 times
JaneyH

Return to General research queries