Moderator Control Panel ]

Village life and the church in the late 17th century

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Village life and the church in the late 17th century

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:19 am

High Church was definitely Church of England so allegiance was to the King. Personally I doubt if any priests of the Church of England were closet Catholics - the compromises necessary would strike at the heart of their vocation. Rather it's more like the attitudes and practices could be uncomfortably reminiscent of Catholicism to those of a more Puritan persuasion. Or even simply that the attitudes of the Civil War - no bishops, for instance - still lingered and were uncovered by something.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Brian Chatters » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:54 pm

I've done some more digging and it may be that the missing records are just that - they have been lost rather than the information not being recorded in the first place. The copy of the parish register appears to be bound some time later from loose sheets. Some pages are clearly out of sequence. There are no marriage records from after the restoration of the monarchy until about 1696.

I have more details about Thomas Unwin. Robert Fisher was vicar of Belchamp St Paul from about 1629 until his death in 1667. Thomas Unwin joined him as curate from about 1663. He received a BA from Cambridge University in 1662/3 so his appointment at Belchamp St Paul was probably his first job. He became vicar in 1668 following the death of Robert Fisher. All entries in the parish register were written in Latin from about 1670 for about 10 years although some baptisms were recorded in both Latin and English (on different pages in the register). They had reverted back to be written in English by 1696 although this period (1680 - 1696) had many gaps in the register. Thomas Unwin died in 1703 I have no idea whether these facts are relevant or not.
Brian Chatters

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:16 am

Re entries missing from the parish registers. Have you checked for any Bishops' Transcripts? I recently dealt with a Devon parish whose PRs were similarly chaotic and the BTs turned out to be quite useful as they contained entries missing from the PRs - and omitted some as well!

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Brian Chatters » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the BTs have not survived for the period I am interested in.
Brian Chatters

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 am

Brian Chatters wrote: ... Unfortunately, the BTs have not survived ...

Figures! I guess if the PRs were chaotic, then the BTs might never have been produced in the first place. We may never know whether it's that or rats in the diocesan archives....

Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries