Moderator Control Panel ]

William Barker - born in Nottingham?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby ClareBear » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Hello
I am stuck trying to research where my 3 x great grandfather was born.

This is what I know so far: William Barker was married to Elizabeth Goodman in 1842 (certificate attached). They married in Nottingham and from what I can tell from the certificate William was a Leather Dryer. His father was William Barker and I think he was a School Master, however by the time his son married he had died. William and Elizabeth moved from Nottingham to Shropshire, where in 1847, William died in Shifnal. He saw two of his daughters - Ellen born in 1845 and Sarah Jane in 1847 (my 2 x great g/mother) Sadly Sarah Jane was baptised after his death.

I cannot find anything to pinpoint where William was born. I am guessing he was born in Nottingham though I have yet to find William on the 1841 census. Marrying in Nottingham in 1842 suggests he was living there in 1841, though I appreciate that is not always the case. I have yet to find Elizabeth on any 1841 census either. There is a possibility that William & Elizabeth had another daughter born in Radford, Nottingham in 1843 - Elizabeth, mother's maiden name Goodman. Although I haven't sent off for this birth certificate, again I can't find a baptism in Nottingham to confirm the family was living here in 1843. The next daughter, Ellen, according to the 1851 taken in Shifnal states she was born in London, and again there is nothing found to confirm this.

So William's life before he married is a bit of a mystery. Any help or clue however small would be much appreciated if it helps me to find out more about William and his family.
Thank you
ClareBear
Attachments
William Barker Marriage (2).jpg
William Barker Marriage (2).jpg (958.13 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
ClareBear

Re: William Barker - born in Nottingham?

Postby avaline » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm

It doesn't help much but his occupation is Leather Dresser (not Dryer). The address looks like Harrow Marsh, and for anyone else looking his age at death was 44, so born roughly 1803.
avaline

Postby avaline » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Ellen's birth?

BARKER, ELLEN MARY JEPPS mmn GOODMAN
GRO Reference: 1845 S Quarter in BILLERICAY Volume 12 Page 7

ADDED: The image from the baptism (21 Sep 1845) has William's occupation as Fell Monger, which is also connected to the leather trade, so it certainly looks like the same couple:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=489234
Last edited by avaline on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avaline

Postby ClareBear » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks Avaline.
Just had a look at FMPs transcript for the Billericay baptism and it gives her parents as William and Elizabeth. So now I need to decide if I take a chance and order the birth certificate? It would be nice to find another sibling for my grt grt grandmother.
Thanks again
ClareBear
ClareBear

Postby avaline » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Your post & my update just crossed - image from BTs now attached to my earlier post.
avaline

Postby brunes08 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

On the marriage certificate it indicates that Elizabeth is 'of full age' therefore presumably 21+ years. However, between 21 and 25 the ages would have been rounded down to 20 years on the 1841 census. Taking that into consideration, I found, on Ancestry, an Elizabeth Goodman 'age 20' bn Nottingham (she could be aged up to 24yrs). She was living with Mary Goodman, 55 years, a beer seller and Richard Goodman, 15 years, an apprentice joiner. The Registration district is Basford and the sub- Registration district is Greasley - in Nottinghamshire. Might this be your Elizabeth?

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

On the marriage certificate it indicates that Elizabeth is 'of full age' therefore presumably 21+ years. However, between 21 and 25 the ages would have been rounded down to 20 years on the 1841 census. Taking that into consideration, I found, on Ancestry, an Elizabeth Goodman 'age 20' bn Nottingham (she could be aged up to 24yrs). She was living with Mary Goodman, 55 years, a beer seller and Richard Goodman, 15 years, an apprentice joiner. The Registration district is Basford and the sub- Registration district is Greasley - in Nottinghamshire. Might this be your Elizabeth?

brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Not sure how my post entered twice. Cannot delete it. Sorry!

brunes08

Postby avaline » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Clutching at straws somewhat, but the name Jepps seems quite unusual so I wonder if there is a connection to the 1826 marriage in Southwark between William Henry Jepps & Mary Barker, where one of the witnesses was named William Barker. Could ‘your’ William be this Mary's brother?

The signatures don’t look very much alike to me, but then there’s an almost 20 year gap between them, so its possible I guess. (I'm assuming the marriage you attached is is from the original register and not the GRO).

The 1851 census has Mary as born c1809 in Bletchforth (Bletchworth?) Surrey, but if she married in 1826 she may actually be a little older.
avaline

Postby ClareBear » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Hello everyone
Just wanted to add that I sent off for the birth certificates for Ellen and Elizabeth and both are the right certificates for the right girls.
Elizabeth was born in Lenton, Nottingham in 1843 and her sister Ellen Mary Jeppes (Jeppes - where does that come from?) was born in 1845 in Great Burstead Billericay. Both documents show the father as William Barker, Fell Monger and mother Elizabeth nee Goodman. (their sister Sarah Jane was born in Shifnal Shropshire in 1847 - this family moved around quite a bit!)
Now just need to find out what happened to Elizabeth (Ellen died in Shifnal aged 13) and also need to find where William was in 1841, but with his track record of moving he could be anywhere!
So thank you to all who responded to this request for help - as always everyone is really helpful.
ClareBear
ClareBear

Next

Return to General research queries