Moderator Control Panel ]

Armstrong from Ox Hill, Kyo, Durham.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Armstrong from Ox Hill, Kyo, Durham.

Postby Marykelly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Unfortunately there are a number of marriages in the Newcastle area for Mary Armstrong who has a father named William. I could end up with a lot of unwanted marriage certificates and rather out of pocket before I find the correct Mary.
:)
Marykelly

Postby sdup26 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am

The fact that Mary McCartney was the only likely Mary I could find, and you've previously discounted her, shows the difficulty. Emigration records have a number of Mary Armstrongs, but unfortunately, if she went to the US, the 1891 US census is 'a fragment' as ancestry puts it, although I tried it anyway, as well as Canadian censuses, and Assisted Immigrant Passengers to Australia.
sdup26

Postby Marykelly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you for all your help with is very much appreciated. :)
I agree that Mary emmigrating is a very strong possibility but there is also a possibility she moved to another county in England and married there.
I am begining to suspect that the only way I will find Mary is that if an descendent of Mary begins their own research and starts posting on forums such as this. Fingers crossed!
Marykelly

Postby sdup26 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:01 pm

While many families managed to keep in touch after emigration, a lot didn't, or couldn't, for whatever reason. Mary's father filled in his 1911 census form with details of her children, including those who had died. So was Mary a good letter-writer, or was she still fairly close to home? Just a thought!
sdup26

Postby Marykelly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:44 pm

I had wondered along the same lines. If Mary lived any distance away how could they be sure of her children?
I have spent 5 hours today looking at as many church marriage records in the Newcastle area as I could in the hope of finding Mary but without any luck! :(
Marykelly

Postby elsabels » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:37 pm

This query has been posted on another site some years ago with the same conclusion!

http://www.
genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21260
elsabels

Previous

Return to General research queries