Moderator Control Panel ]

Edward Isaac Peachey...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Edward Isaac Peachey...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:06 pm

To all the Sherlocks out there… I’m chasing down another family tree member. He is…
PEACHEY, EDWARD ISAAC [FOREMAN] GRO Reference: 1893 M Quarter in ELY Volume 03B Page 529. Interestingly, his mother Sophia (nee Foreman, late Curtis) uses her original maiden name on this and other birth records.

The last confirmed sighting of Edward is the 1911 census – Edward Peachey | Son | 18 | Single | Farm Labourer | Worker | Cambridgeshire Prickwillow - where he is with his parents and three siblings at Mile End Road, Prickwillow, Cambridgeshire.

There don’t seem to be any obvious marriage or death records for him in the UK and he’s yet to be found in the 1939 Register. I’ve drawn a blank in Findmypast’s migration records, but it seems he may have gone to Australia. There’s a marriage record for an Edward I Peachey = Adelaide E M Reynolds in 1921 in Marrickville district, NSW.

And this has to be him judging by the parents names given:
Death: Name: Peachey, Edward Isaac | Registration No: 40421/1966 | Father’s Given Name(s): Edward | Mother’s Given Name(s): Sophia | District: Ryde.

Birth: Name: Reynolds, Adelaide E M | Registration No: 5578/1890 | Father’s Given Name(s): David G | Mother’s Given Name(s): Annie | District: Balmain.

Death: Name: Peachey, Adelaide Ellen Maud | Registration No: 4043/1986 | Father’s Given Name(s): David George | Mother’s Given Name(s): Annie | District: (Blank).
(All the above from https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/)

If there’s anyone in Australia who can fill in the blank bit between 1911 and 1966, I’ll be eternally grateful!
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Edward Isaac Peachey...

Postby genie tragic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:35 am

Hi from Oz.
There is a newspaper notice in The Daily Telegraph (Sydney) dated 13 Jun 1921.
Weddings. Peachey-Reynolds.
At the Dulwich Hill Baptist Church on June 4 a wedding was celebrated by Rev. W. Claughton Black, assisted by Rev. David G. Morse, when Addie, younger daughter of Mrs. A. Reynolds, of Gobar Street, Dulwich Hill, was married to Edward Peachey, eldest son of Mr. E. Peachey, of Ely, England. The wedding was carried out in a color scheme of white and apricot. The bride, who was given away by her elder brother, Mr. D. Reynolds, wore a dress of ivory crepe de chine, beautifully embroidered and trimmed with beads. She wore the customary wreath and veil, and carried a shower bouquet of carnations and dahlias, the gift of the bridegroom. Miss Florence Jackson attended the bride, and was becomingly gowned in apricot crepe de chine, hand-embroidered, and trimmed with accordion-pleated frills and a black picture hat. She carried a bouquet of pink carnations and sweet peas, and wore a gold sapphire ring, which were gifts of the bridegroom. Mr George Peachey, cousin of the bridegroom, was best man. The wedding breakfast was held at Oakley Hall, Petersham. Later in the evening the bride and bridegroom left for their honeymoon, which is being spent at Katoomba, the bride travelling in a navy tailored costume and henna hat.

It seems from this that there were other members of the Peachey clan in Australia at that time.

You can search Australian newspapers online (for free) on the Trove website. trove.nla.gov.au

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
genie tragic

Postby genie tragic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:44 am

It seems he was in Australia by May 1915 as he joined the AIF. His records (17 pages) are available to view on the National Archives of Australia website NAA.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
genie tragic

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:11 am

genie tragic: Many thanks for your reply. I've had a scan through his service record and it seems like he was one of the lucky ones - came through without a scratch.

Delving into Trove this morning, they may have had at least one child, Philip John, in 1929.

Edward's mother was first married to my Great (x2) uncle Frederick Curtis until his death in 1885, after which she married either John or Edward Peachey (or John Edward, it's still not clear), so this Peachey line aren't direct relatives, this is more of a tidying up loose ends exercise.

Thanks again,

Phil
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby elsabels » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:49 am

Edward Isaac Peachey is listed in the Australian Electoral Rolls, from 1930 - 1963 living in 13 Adelaide Street Ryde West Parramatta New South Wales Australia Edward I is desc as Varnish Maker

1949 includes Edward David, Clerk
1954 Elaine Shirley Teacher
elsabels

Return to General research queries