Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to find Thomas Rooney

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Trying to find Thomas Rooney

Postby berniebabe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Good evening and thank you for accepting me as a member, my query is as follows, maybe someone will be able to help me with this something i have been trying to solve for a few years.
My gt grandfather was michael rooney born circa 1839 (his birth was never registered) according to the 1841 census he was born in preston lancashire, i found his baptism in preston in 1839 stating his father was thomas (my father always said he thought his gt grandfather was thomas) and his mother "helen"
Thomas rooney died in 1840 of thyphus fever cannot find any information on thomas in preston prior to his death, does anyone know where i could go from here? it is thomas i would like to find out about, according to my dad from what he could remmeber he said there was an irish connection somewhere along the line and thought it was county mayo, thomas would of been in preston when his son was born is there anything i could find that would give me any info on thomas? Thank you for any help/advice on this, it has been puzzling me for years.
Thank again
bernadette
Last edited by berniebabe on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
berniebabe

Re: Brick wall

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:36 am

Hi Bernadette,
Welcome to the forum. First, may I suggest you amend the title of your post to something more relevant? e.g. Looking for Michael Rooney 1839.
People are more likely to look at your post if they think they can help :D

You say 1841 census shows Michael was born in Preston, well to be blunt, no it doesn’t. It may show he was living in Preston, and born in same county, but that is as far as it goes. The 1841 census is pretty poor in this regard. Also don’t forget that Thomas’s age as shown, will have been rounded down by up to 5 years, so may have been born 5 years earlier than suggested by his age, also it will show If Thomas was born in in/out of County, and if he was born in Ireland, as you suspect, this will also be indicated on the census.

Michael was christened in Preston, but have you found and looked at the actuaal Parish Register entry, this will tell you were the family were living at the time, and hence where Michael was born, which may or not be Preston! It will also tell you Thomas’s occupation or Trade, which may help you identify correct Marriage for Thomas.

Look for possible siblings of Michael, who were also christened in Preston. If you do find some, the bithdate of the oldest will give you a clue as to when the couple married, if they ever did, so treat this date as a guide only.
Mick Loney

Postby JMcK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:59 am

Mick, the OP has said that Thomas died of Typhus in 1840 and therein lies the problem....
He is not in the 1841 census.

I agree with the rest of your suggestions though :)
JMcK

Postby brunes08 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:07 am

I presume, that as you know what Thomas died from, you have a copy of his death certificate. There may be other clues there such as the name of the informant, an address, a precise date, etc. These details may help you.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Thomas Rooney

Postby berniebabe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 am

Thank you all for your replies regarding my brick wall, I do have a copy of Thomas death certificate which states he died in the house of recovery in preston and john rooney was the informant. I have seen the baptism record for Michael rooney at st wilfreds church in preston, all it stated on there was his father was Thomas and mother helen. I just presumed that michael was born in preston with him being baptised there. This is one "brick wall" I would love to break down, and hopefully find Thomas, on the 1841 census with Michael on there is a ellen magee, I do think this could be michaels mother, and that she and Thomas rooney never married Thomas had died by the time of the census. I have looked further for clues on ellen magee but cannot find her. Thanks again.
berniebabe

Re: Trying to find Thomas Rooney

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 am

Looks like Ellen McGee became Mrs John Dixon. Not sure that they married.
Children registered in Preston as either Dickson or Dixon. Her maiden name given as McGee, McGhie, McGinn
Michael is with them in 1851, age 12.

Having said that, there is a Michael Dixon marriage to Mary Griffin in Preston in 1859. Strange! Hopefully it's someone else.
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am

I have seen the baptism record for Michael rooney at st wilfreds church in preston, all it stated on there was his father was Thomas and mother helen

This is an RC church, usually the forenames and some other details are written on in latin, and include the address of the parents, together with the names of the sponsors/godparents!

According to www.genuki.org, Lancashire Record Office only hold the transcripts, it is likely to original records are still held within the church

Have you tried to trace the informant John ROONEY whose name is listed as on the death certificate of Thomas in 1840?
He may be at:
Green Lane Preston
HO107; Piece: 498; Book: 14; Civil Parish: Preston; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 20; Folio: 16; Page: 24; Line: 1
David Walsh 45
John Romay 25
Margt Romay 20

Mary Devlin 15
elsabels

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:14 am

JMcK wrote:Mick, the OP has said that Thomas died of Typhus in 1840 and therein lies the problem....
He is not in the 1841 census.

I agree with the rest of your suggestions though :)

I was aware, which is why I suggested looking for christening of siblings and then use that to find possible marriage of his parents :D

I’m afraid that is the best Bernadette can do! With no census to help her, she is totally reliant on information avaiable from other sources, mainly parish registers!

Oops, forgot I had suggested looking at Thomas’s 1841 census-my bad :oops:
Mick Loney

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:32 am

Bernadette,
If you have seen Michael’s christening entry, it should state an address or place where child was from. If is is an address, you can safely assume it was an address within Preston, otherwise it may point to a town/village nearby. Just beacuse he was christened in Preston, doesn’t mean to say he was born there!

Only today I was researching someone christened in Peterborough, who also came form Peterborough according to register entry, but I know family originally came from Stilton, so was not suprised in censuses to discover she states she was born in Stilton, not Peterborough! Although nearby, it is a different town and a different County! :D
Mick Loney

Postby berniebabe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:35 am

Thank you for all your help, I am afraid his baptism record (catholic church) did not give much info just parents name no address.
berniebabe

Next

Return to General research queries