Moderator Control Panel ]

John Graham - The Missing Years

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Graham - The Missing Years

Postby elsabels » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 pm

ianbee...point taken, so I revisited the info found!

According to the obit of Mrs Elizabeth Graham she was 62 therefore b circa 1888 and at death in April 1950 had been in Australia around 40 years, If the birth of Jessie Graham is correct in 1911 soon after arriving in Australia, there is the likelihood that John & Eliz'th could have married in the UK!
elsabels

Postby Narnster » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:25 am

So if Elizabeth was born in 1888, that isn't them as a family on the 1901 census in Teralba district... unless he married twice... (She's quite a bit younger than him), either way, where's the record of his marriage to Elizabeth?! I had wondered if they might have got married at Gretna Green (then set off for a new life in Australia) as some of those aren't online, but if so, that won't be my John on the 1901 census... unless he went back to the UK which I think is unlikely. I can't find him on the UK 1901 census. I've wondered how he came to be in Australia - there are John Grahams in naval records, but that doesn't really seem to fit. Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but why did people tend to go to Australia then? Just for a better life? I must keep an open mind!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Narnster

Postby elsabels » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Part of John's timeline some you have in other posts

1903-1904
GRAHAM John Coalminer

if the above is the correct JG it is presumed that he may be found on the 1901 census and marrying in NSW. there is the possibility he married in the UK and left his family behind to start as new single life?

1930/ 1934 occup Deputy/ 1935 Deputy/1936
West Wallsend NSW
Fergan Street
GRAHAM John
GRAHAM Elizabeth

Terabla Road
GRAHAM John no occupation
GRAHAM Elizabeth

John was active as the Deputy of Seaham No 1 Colliery
Invalid a& Old aged Assoc
Local Coop

Elizabeth Graham died 5 April 1950
Grant of Probate granted to Jessie York 31 May 1950 est £420 aus
elsabels

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:21 pm

The timeline will prove useful, I am finding it hard to get my head around all this!
Better life in Australia, yes, although you would have thought John might have had prospects in England. Perhaps he did go off after some sort of rift with his family. Or maybe his going caused a rift?
Ian
ianbee

Postby Narnster » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks both. I'm also having trouble getting my head round this but the timeline approach is a good idea. I've also found two (accurate I think) Ancestry trees that have John in NSW so I have messaged them. A third tree has John's daughter, Annie, in it... (as part of Annie's husband's tree, not Annie's) I'm DNA matched twice to this tree so obviously I thought that this was a great piece of evidence. Turns out my matches are on the tree holder's side of the tree but JG's daughter is on her partner's side!!! Whaaat?! Thanks again. Narnie

Narnster

Postby loopyl » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:37 am

The easiest way to find out details about Australian individuals is to use Trove ( https://trove.nla.gov.au ) which is our free digitised newspaper resource. There's an article about John Graham with a photo, when he went missing, in the Newcastle Sun 6th Jan 1922.
loopyl

Postby Narnster » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks loopyl for looking at this. I've looked for the article on the missing John Graham you've mentioned but can't find anything. Would you be able to post the link to it? Many thanks. Narnster

Narnster

Postby ianbee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:13 pm

loopyl wrote:The easiest way to find out details about Australian individuals is to use Trove

Have we not been doing this?

loopyl wrote:There's an article about John Graham with a photo, when he went missing, in the Newcastle Sun 6th Jan 1922.

There is, but it is the wrong John Graham.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162792450?
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 am

ianbee :- love the wind up
elsabels

Postby Narnster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi ianbee and elsabels... I thought that a bit odd too but always like to be polite. ;-) Everything is worth checking out though... I wonder how many John Grahams, a miner of Teralba Road (this one is Adamstown) there are!! :-( Narnster

Narnster

Previous

Return to General research queries