Moderator Control Panel ]

Why was Frances Evison in Southwark after WW1?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Why was Frances Evison in Southwark after WW1?

Postby Alison_ct » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm

I’m researching my maternal grandfather line and have come across a mystery.

My great grandmother was born in Whittlesey and my great grandfather was born in Sussex. He went on to join the Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment, and I have found a number of records on forces war records stating he was injured and also a ‘not yet diagnosed nervous’ during the Battle of Passchendale. Anyway, in 1919, there is a marriage banns reading for my great grandmother and father at St Barnabas, Dulwich, Southwark. (Interestingly it was read twice for the beginning of the year, noted twice as not married, and they were then married in Cambridgeshire later on in the year). With his history of illness and a family story he suffered lung damage from mustard gas in the trenches, I have yet to check for definite, but I am currently working on the assumption he at some point was sent to Southwark Military Hospital, where possibly he met my great grandmother, however the only record I can find for her in Southwark is the marriage bans. My initial thinking was maybe she was a vad or military nurse and was sent there, but I can find no record or evidence for this, having checked forces records and Red Cross vad records.

Would anyone be able to recommend another place I could look that might confirm this line of thinking, or perhaps suggest an alternative reason for how she might have ended up there during WW1. She is registered as being of that churches parish, and he for some reason is registered at a parish in Thurrock but I am looking into his post WW1 service and believe I will be able to find out why he would then be based there, I’m wondering Tilbury Fort as there is a connection between his regiment and the captain in charge of the fort.

All help would be appreciated, many thanks
Last edited by Alison_ct on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alison_ct

Re: Why was my great grandmother in Southwark during WW1?

Postby phsvm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 pm

A slight aside but it may bear fruit (and if it doesn't you might learn something else!)

Instead of looking directly at where your g grandmother was why not try and ascertain a bit more about your g grandfather's medical history? That might give you a few clues. FMP have soldiers medical records. I haven't used them so don't know how extenive they are - sure someone else can tell you that.

It might also be worth posting your query on the Great War Forum. You may want to word your question slightly differently so the emphasis is on your g grandfather.
https://www.greatwarforum.org/
phsvm

Postby peter kent » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:23 am

1. If you provided their names, the question might generate more interest.

2. Was there an occupation shown for the bride on the marriage certificate?
peter kent

Postby Alison_ct » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 am

Thank you both for you replies, great ideas.

I’m having trouble tracking down the actual marriage certificate and can only find the marriage record, but the banns state they are bachelor and spinster, I’m not sure if they’d list occupation anyway, it’s the only one I’ve come across in my research.

Their names are Francis Alice Evison (born in Whittlesey, 1896) and Cyril Roland Townsend (born in Brighton, 1895).
Alison_ct

Re: Why was Frances Evison in Southwark after WW1?

Postby sdup26 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 am

I may have misunderstood your last post, but it sounded as if you couldn't find Frances and Cyril's marriage certificate. To order it from the GRO, you need a reference, and this seems to be it:
Francis A Evison - Cyril R Townsend, SQ 1920 Ely 3b 1571
sdup26

Return to General research queries