Moderator Control Panel ]

Where in Ireland?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Where in Ireland?

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:10 pm

I have been researching my family tree for some time.My paternal GGF's origins have alluded me and I have returned to him. I am hoping that someone on the forum may have the answer.
Thomas Gavin married Mary Callan on the 3rd Sept 1875 in Lesmahagow,Lanark.
He was a shale miner.What I am struggling with is his birth details and death.
Scottish census says born Ireland.His marriage certificate says his parents were
Peter Gavin (deceased)and Helen Blackburn.
There are two deaths on scotlands people,1926,right age,wrong wife and
1915,single.
What I would like to know is where in Ireland was he born? and where and when he died.
If it helps he was protestant.
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: Where in Ireland?

Postby shanew147 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Without knowing a place of birth such as a town or parish based on later Scottish records, it's going to be a difficult search...'Protestant' can mean a number of different denominations - e.g. Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist etc, another complication is that Protestant baptisms often did not include mother's maiden surname , further complicating any search for possible baptism for Thomas.

There are some Protestant Church records on Pay-Websites such as RootsIreland which are worth checking, and some Church of Ireland records for Dublin City and Counties Carlow & Kerry on the free IrishGenealogy website. Bear in mind that not all Church records survive and not all of those that do are available online.

If the Scottish Census doesn't help, another source that can be useful is Scottish Poor Law records, if your ancestor ever claimed relief. These can include a more detailed place of birth. Checking for possible Gavin relations living nearby or appearing as witnesses to the marriage etc can sometimes help with a more definite place of birth in Ireland.

In the mid 19th century most property listed for the surname Gavin was in the west of Ireland in Counties Mayo, Galway & Roscommon, with others scattered across Ireland in a number of other counties. The surname Blackburn appears most in Counties Antrim and Meath, followed by the other Ulster counties and Dublin.

I ran a surname cross-reference, based on the mid 19th C property data i.e. Griffith's Primary Valuation, looking for Civil Parishes where the surnames Gavin & Blackburn both appear and just four civil parishes showed the match :

Shankill, Co. Antrim 2 1 (# Gavin / # Blackburn)
St. Pauls, Dublin City 1 1
Navan, Co. Meath 1 2
Ardstraw, Co. Tyrone 1 26

allowing for the variation Blackburne adds Monkstown, Co. Dublin; St. Peters, Dublin city; Aghalurcher Co. Fermanagh and Kilbride, King's County (Co. Offaly) to the list of parishes with matches.
shanew147

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you Shanew,given me something to go at.
Thinking perhaps we might plan a trip.My maternal ggf came from County Down but I have
plenty of info on him and beyond.
Thanks again
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby MayHam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:52 pm

ScotlandsPeople's index says, "Thomas Gavin" married in 1875 but am wondering if they are assuming that name? The document's groom made his mark beside the name "T.H. Turnbull" and the minister is Thomas H. Turnbull, of the Lesmahagow Church of Scotland. Did Helen (Blackburn) Gavin marry Rev. Turnbull and adopt Thomas Gavin?
MayHam

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks Mayhem,
now were opening a can of worms.
Will need to do a bit more digging.
Getting a headache already :D
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 am

MayHam wrote:... The document's groom made his mark beside the name "T.H. Turnbull" ....

If I recall correctly, the images of marriages on ScotlandsPeople (I presume that's what we're talking about) are not the originals (unlike births and deaths) but copies made by the local registrar for transmission to GROS.

Unfortunately I can't connect to Dropbox to check but if true, it may not be sensible to read too much into exact positioning of marks etc.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks Adrian,
I'm fairly certain it is just that he couldn't write.I realise that the Irish end is difficult but I can't find a death for him either.His wife Mary Callan I have a death for ,she died 20th April 1913 in Edinburgh.
The couples daughter Mary Callan Gavin (my granny) was born 12th Feb 1886 in West Calder,she had two brothers , Robert and Thomas.
Lots of head scratching on this one.
Grace :?
Amazinggrace

Postby MayHam » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:26 am

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but there was a Peter Gavan, married, slater, who died in 1880 in the Castlebar No. 1 district of Co. Mayo. He appears to have been Catholic and the husband of Bridget (Kenean/Keenan) Gavin who died there, also, in 1881. Their son, James, was baptised in 1844 and daughter, Mary Ann, in 1852, both in the Aglish RC parish, as per RootsIreland.
MayHam

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks MayHam,
I'm pretty certain there is no catholic connection.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries