Moderator Control Panel ]

Frances Lilian Pollard Reynolds, Robin Reynolds

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Frances Lilian Pollard Reynolds, Robin Reynolds

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Frances Lilian Pollard was born 1 Oct 1906 in Newbury, Berkshire, the daughter of Henry Tomlin Pollard and Lilian Bessie Gough. Henry was born in Ipswich but his roots are in Lancashire. Lilian was born in Reigate, Surrey.
Frances married Robin Edmund Reynolds on 11 Jul 1936 in Tooting, Surrey in an RC Church. She added the name Josephine when she married him; I assume she had converted to Catholicism.
I have found her in 1939 in Amersham, Bucks., with son Robin who died as a young man. Also in the household was an Ernest Gough, who might be a relative of her mother’s. Husband Robin was born 4 Jan 1910 and was the son of George John David Reynolds. He was likely born abroad. I have found a ship manifest with him listed, prior to his marriage.
Robin is living at 6b Kent Gardens, Ealing, Middlesex, in 1939, b 14 Jan 1910. He is listed as a civil servant, civil engineer, Crown Agent for Colonies. He is living with two other people, a man and a woman, both listed as divorced. He is married.
I believe Robin married again, in 1960, to a Maureen M. Babey, the only one registered in England was born in 1934. This matches a death for a Maureen M. Reynolds I found in 1977 in Warrington, Cheshire. Robin is buried in Cheadle, Cheshire listed as an MBE, birthdate matches the one on the 1939 register.
I would like to find a death and/or remarriage for Frances Lilian Pollard Reynolds. She did have one more son with Robin who might still be alive.
DianaCanada

Re: Frances Lilian Pollard Reynolds, Robin Reynolds

Postby ianbee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi
Robin and Frances are on electoral registers at 10 Kent Gardens, Ealing, after the war until 1947.
Robin seems to reappear in 1961, with Maureen, at 9 Cosway Street, NW1.
Details of the MBE
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... 8/data.pdf

Probate for Robin Edmund Reynolds in 1970, an administration.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Ca ... 7#calendar

The elder son, Robin Clive Pinhoe, died 12 December 1961 in an accident. Newspaper says that he was to be interred at Cheadle Cemetery. No mention of his mother being dead on that.

The younger son, who we can't mention directly, may have gone with his wife in 1966 to the country that you are in! So you might be able to contact him perhaps?

It looks as if either there was a divorce, or possibly that Frances Lilian died abroad? I don't know anything about Crown Agents for the Colonies! Did they all have to go to one?
Ian
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:38 pm

Could this be Robin Reynold's birth entry and the reason behind his job desc?
Name: Edmund Robert Reynolds
Birth Date: 14 Jan 1910
Baptism Date: 6 Feb 1910
Baptism Age: 0
Baptism Place: Mandalay, Bengal, India
Father: George Reynolds
Mother: Mary

Robin Edmund Reynolds M B E | Died: 1 Jul 1970 | Grave Site ...
https://billiongraves.com › ... › Cheshire › Cheadle (Park Road) Cemetery
1 Jul 1970 - The grave site of Robin Edmund Reynolds M B E. Cemetery: Cheadle (Park Road) Cemetery, Location: Cheadle, Cheshire, England, United ...
elsabels

Postby AntonyM » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 am

DianaCanada wrote:I believe Robin married again, in 1960, to a Maureen M. Babey,

First thing is to look at that record and see how his "condition" is described i.e. widower, or divorced ?
AntonyM

Postby elsabels » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 am

ianbee
I cannot get the link to work info for MBE

The London Gazette
Publication date:29 December 1964 Supplement:43529Page:18
elsabels

Postby JaneyH » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:34 am

The Crown Agents are still in existence - my husband looked at working for them a couple of years ago. A brief history here: https://www.crownagents.com/who-we-are/our-history/
JaneyH

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Ian thank you for the new information! Just a couple of questions - where did you find Robin Jr.'s death notice? I could not find anything on the British Newspaper Archive.
I was able to click through on the link to MBE, thanks for that too!
Don't know why I didn't find the probate mention, but thank you for passing it on to me. :)
Where did you find Adrian on a passenger list? I can't see anything past 1960 on Anc or FMP.

I did find Adrian and his wife on two Canadian voters' lists in Vancouver in 1972 and Montreal in 1968. He is listed as a salesman. Fortunately both their first names are not overly common in Canada, so am confident it is them. Other than that, I have not been able to find them in any other records, but that is difficult here in any case for anything after mid-20th century. It is possible too that they moved somewhere else or back to the UK and are still living.
I made a quick check for Frances in case she went to Canada too, but found nothing that fit.
Last edited by DianaCanada on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks for this, Elsabels! I think it must be him. Where did you find this record? Is it Anglican? When I realized Frances and Robin were married in an RC ceremony, I thought he must have been RC and she converted. Wondering now if she had converted earlier.

elsabels wrote:Could this be Robin Reynold's birth entry and the reason behind his job desc?
Name: Edmund Robert Reynolds
Birth Date: 14 Jan 1910
Baptism Date: 6 Feb 1910
Baptism Age: 0
Baptism Place: Mandalay, Bengal, India
Father: George Reynolds
Mother: Mary

Robin Edmund Reynolds M B E | Died: 1 Jul 1970 | Grave Site ...
https://billiongraves.com › ... › Cheshire › Cheadle (Park Road) Cemetery
1 Jul 1970 - The grave site of Robin Edmund Reynolds M B E. Cemetery: Cheadle (Park Road) Cemetery, Location: Cheadle, Cheshire, England, United ...
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 pm

AntonyM wrote:
DianaCanada wrote:I believe Robin married again, in 1960, to a Maureen M. Babey,

First thing is to look at that record and see how his "condition" is described i.e. widower, or divorced ?

Yes, was hoping to avoid the expense, as this one doesn't come under the PDF programme.
I
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm

JaneyH wrote:The Crown Agents are still in existence - my husband looked at working for them a couple of years ago. A brief history here: https://www.crownagents.com/who-we-are/our-history/

Thank you for this, Janey!
DianaCanada

Next

Return to General research queries