Moderator Control Panel ]

Jewish refugees in ww2

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jewish refugees in ww2

Postby Jill Alexander » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 am

Just found my gran's aunt on the 1939 listing and she has a 15 year old boy Surname Cohen later corrected to Citroen. This shows up many questions - first of which is for how long was the 1939 record open to be corrected? I am assuming that they anglicised the name to hide the child possibly to avoid later internment? Is there a database of these people that might help me find out more about who he was and where he went after he moved out from Aunt Paul's house? Her husband was the borough supervisor for cemetaries and allotments and had a tied house so would they likely have run into any hostility for having a german child in the house? They were prolific photographers but I can't find a single snap of this lad so he was kept quiet. Until yesterday nobody in the family even knew anything about this. This lady is fascinating as the family at this time are all pillars of the protestant church -church wardens and the like but she goes and does this.
Family name is Carter and they are at number 24 on the attached document
Attachments
Aunt Paul 1939.jpg
Aunt Paul 1939.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 709 times
Jill Alexander

Re: Jewish refugees in ww2

Postby peter kent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:08 am

I don't know if it's any relation but there's a Gazette notice in 1940 for a Lewis Cohen changing his name to Lewis Citroen.

There should be an explanation of the 1939 register on the National Archives site. The register was subsequently used by the NHS and changes were being made decades later.

Why do you say he's a refugee? Have you checked FreeBMD for a birth in 1925? It would appear that Michael A Cohen's mother's maiden name was CITROEN.
peter kent

Re: Jewish refugees in ww2

Postby peter kent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:19 am

Also check the 1939 register for Lionel, Lewis and Rachel COHEN who all changed their names to CITROEN.

Also see

Marriages Jun 1920
Citroen Ray Cohen Hammersmith 1a 793
Cohen Lewis Citroen Hammersmith 1a 793
peter kent

Return to General research queries