Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anybody guide me about the research thing ?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can anybody guide me about the research thing ?

Postby david4121 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Please if anyone..
david4121

Re: Can anybody guide me about the research thing ?

Postby elsabels » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 am

Start by writing down what you know and what relatives tell you. Ask to see any birth /marriage /death certificates. Use your mobile to take pictures of the documents.

Try to use free sites, this can be quite an expensive hobby

familysearch.org is a free site with tips etc to get you started, it also has parish records, census records, news items related to persons........

another useful source is http://www.genuki.org.uk/

for finding birth / marriage /death certificates www.freebmd.org

Some counties have on line parish records www.ukbmd.org.uk/online_parish_clerk

If you do use the subsription sites, gather your info so it is worthwhile and register for the 14 day free trial, if your not joining remember to cancel your pay details. You should be able to get nearly 6 weeks gratis by this method.

Remember there are a lot of amateur sleuths on this site who will help and point you in the right direction

Others may add their ideas
elsabels

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:06 pm

A better site for births and deaths before 1911 is the Gro.gov website. Unlike freebmd, it gives mothers maiden name for births before 1912, and for death will give the persons age at death. You will need to register with the site first (free), then you can search to your hearts content :D
Mick Loney

Postby carobradford » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 am

"A better site for births and deaths before 1911 is the Gro.gov website. Unlike freebmd, it gives mothers maiden name for births before 1912, and for death will give the persons age at death".

Absolutely true, and a wonderful research tool, but it can be quite fiddly to use. It doesn't accept wild cards - the use of which is an essential skill to learn when searching online - and requires a surname, a gender and a date range of +/- 2 years. In addition, the only way to narrow searches geographically is by registration district. I recommend starting a search with freebmd, whose search engine is much more powerful and flexible, then using the answers it provides for a GRO search.
carobradford

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:13 am

carobradford wrote:"The only way to narrow searches geographically is by registration district. I recommend starting a search with freebmd, whose search engine is much more powerful and flexible, then using the answers it provides for a GRO search.

Not strictly true. One could also restrict the search area by using the volume code.
For example if someone was born ‘near’ Warrington, they could be registered under Warrington, Leigh etc, which all fall within the 8c volume, so if you’re not sure of RD then use this instead. The Volumes tend to cover a pretty broad area, but better this than searching whole country :D

I do agree that freebmd is a very useful tool in helping to narrow down ones search prior to using GRO site, especially if surname is often mis-spelt, and as Carobradford stated, freebmd can use wildcards and you can also restrict search to Counties too.
Mick Loney

Postby devonliz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:13 pm

While you are on the WDYTYA? page, why not click on the 'Getting Started' bar above - plenty of advice there.
The WDYTYA? magazine is currently in the middle of a three-part series on first steps in family history research - perhaps you can find at the local library.
devonliz

Return to General research queries