Moderator Control Panel ]

Philip William Peck

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Philip William Peck

Postby B_Brown1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:22 am

Hi all,
Newbie here, researching my 2nd Great Uncle and I can not track down at all where he was buried. I've emailed councils, churches and chucked a bit of money at it.

His name is Philip William Peck born Dec 1893 in Shropham in Norfolk. He served in WW1 a member of The Buffs East Kent Regiment. G5976.

He married Emily Cambridge, they have one child I've discovered (a daughter, I don't know her name) he died on 15th August 1955 at the Peace Memorial Hospital in Watford. I've check with Norfolk Record office and he isn't buried here in Norfolk either.

I'm at a serious brick wall/dead end and would massively appreciate some help in finding this last piece of the puzzle.

I've tried the Deceased online and Find A Grave sites and no joy. I know the crematorium in Watford opened in 1959 so this would be too late.

Seriously appreciate some help with this. Thank you!! :-)
B_Brown1987

Re: Philip William Peck

Postby elsabels » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:22 pm

he died on 15th August 1955 at the Peace Memorial Hospital in Watford

In 1939 he is registered as a patient in the Peace Memorial Hosp, his occupation is described as Chauffeur

Philip William Peck
Death Date: 15 Aug 1955
Death Place: Hertfordshire, Hertford, England
Probate Date: 24 Sep 1955
Registry: London, England

The Grant of Probate was granted to Charles Lesleie Harvey rail official. Copy of grant etc available from https://www.
gov.uk/search-will-probate

He married Emily Cambridge,

Marriage cert is online at ancestry 2 april 1923 St George Bloomsbury
His wife Emily ( if I have selected the correct person) was b 20 July 1891 and is with a see below
Name: Emily Peck
Death Age: 91
Birth Date: 20 Jul 1891
Registration Date: Dec 1982
Registration district: Watford
Volume: 10 Page: 0854

Name: Emily Peck
Death Date: 11 Dec 1982
Death Place: Rickmansworth Herts
Probate Date: 23 Feb 1983
Registry: Ipswich
Other than address in Rickmansworth no other details given

they have one child I've discovered (a daughter, I don't know her name

Margaret Peck b 2 June 1923 both residing at Oaklands Hampstead Road Watford

Name: Margaret Peck
Registration Date: 1923
Registration district: Wolverhampton
Inferred County: West Midlands
Re-registration Year: 1923
Mother's Maiden Name: Cambridge
Volume Number: 6b
Page Number: 988

Just cannot find a positive lead for Margaret
elsabels

Postby elsabels » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:18 pm

he died on 15th August 1955 at the Peace Memorial Hospital in Watford. I've check with Norfolk Record office and he isn't buried here in Norfolk either.

There would have been a cost incurred in transferring the deceased from one county to another!

It is likey that they are buried / cremated in the area in which they resided

It is unlikely to be W Herts Crem as this opened in 1959
elsabels

Postby B_Brown1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi thanks for taking a look. I've contacted the burial/cemetery folks in Watford and they can't find him. Tried the archive team and no joy either. Even emailed most of the churches near to where he lived and died and a lot of them don't have a cemeteries and the ones that do no Philip. I've even tried looking for Emily and I can't find where she is buried. I've seen the probate for Philip before but no idea who Charles is! Is maddening that I can't find where he is buried. Cremation seems unlikely.
B_Brown1987

Postby elsabels » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Have you tried the local newspaper for an obituary?

Interesting that Emily nor Margaret applied for Philip's Grant of Probate

The only Charles Leslie HARVEY I can find in Watford we born 1903 married 1925 died 1986

National schools admissions states he came from a London school, dob 14 Sept 1903 and went to work on the Railways
He is on 1939 register as Charles E Harvey b 1903 Watford as a Railway Clerk
His son:

Name: Roy Bernard Harvey
Death Age: 77
Birth Date: 19 Jun 1926
Registration Date: May 2004
Registration district: Bedford
Inferred County: Bedfordshire
Register Number: B11D
District and Subdistrict: 309/1B

Do you know who applied for Emily's Grant of Probate?
elsabels

Postby meekhcs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Suggest you email hertsmemories.org.uk if you haven’t already done so. They have lots of info on the Peace Hospital and may be able to suggest where burials would have taken place and/or tell you where to locate records for the Hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:08 pm

I had no luck in finding an obituary for him. It's really interesting that neither of them applied for it, his son in law a P.G. Wilson was the person who registered his death as well not wife or daughter.

That's really interesting about Charles. I'm guessing he was just a friend of Philip's just seems an odd thing that it went to him.

I'm just double checking Emily's probate. I'm not certain I do know who claimed it, Ancestry states their daughter is still alive!

Thanks also for the hertsmemories email. I'll check whether I've contacted them or not already, I've sent so many emails all over the place trying to track this one down.
B_Brown1987

Philip William Peck

Postby brunes08 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:26 pm

The person applying for probate is not necessarily a member of the family. It doesn't have to be the next-of-kin. A person writing a will designates a trusted person, such as a solicitor, to be the executor for the estate. The executor sorts out all the deceased person's financial and other affairs and ensures that the deceased's wishes are carried out. The executor does not necessarily inherit anything. In this case it would be useful to obtain a copy of the will to ascertain the full picture.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby B_Brown1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:33 pm

[quote="brunes08"]The person applying for probate is not necessarily a member of the family. It doesn't have to be the next-of-kin. A person writing a will designates a trusted person, such as a solicitor, to be the executor for the estate. The executor sorts out all the deceased person's financial and other affairs and ensures that the deceased's wishes are carried out. The executor does not necessarily inherit anything. In this case it would be useful to obtain a copy of the will to ascertain the full picture.

I don't know how I would go about getting a copy of it? I guess it may or may not shed light on where he is buried which is ultimately what I'm trying to find out.
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:45 pm

B_Brown1987 wrote:
brunes08 wrote:The person applying for probate is not necessarily a member of the family. It doesn't have to be the next-of-kin. A person writing a will designates a trusted person, such as a solicitor, to be the executor for the estate. The executor sorts out all the deceased person's financial and other affairs and ensures that the deceased's wishes are carried out. The executor does not necessarily inherit anything. In this case it would be useful to obtain a copy of the will to ascertain the full picture.

I don't know how I would go about getting a copy of it? I guess it may or may not shed light on where he is buried which is ultimately what I'm trying to find out.

I've ordered a copy. Let's see if it helps with anything at all.
B_Brown1987

Next

Return to General research queries