Moderator Control Panel ]

Philip William Peck

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Philip William Peck

Postby meekhcs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:40 am

so I googled Vicaarage Road Cemetery Watford and clicked on this link https://www.watford.gov.uk/info/20009/h ... ./4Tracing the deceased

This brought up Deaths Burial and Cremations, Cemetery Locations.
On the right hand side under "In This Section" I clicked on "Cemetery Services"
Scrolled down and came to this:-

"If you are trying to trace a family member or friend that may have been buried in either North Watford Cemetery or Vicarage Road Cemetery, please contact the Cemetery Manager using the contact details below.

For more information contact the Cemetery Manager on tel: 01923 672157 or email: cemeteries@watford.gov.uk"

I think this is your next port of call after you receive the marriage cert.

As I said before I suspect he is buried in one of these cemeteries but the Funeral Service may have taken place at his local church and hopefully the marriage cert will point you in the right direction.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am

Hi,

I've sat and gone through my emails this morning and the following is all the places I've tried already.

I've tried Vicarage Road, North Watford, Carpenders Park cemetery and the cemetery in Hertsmere which is the next Borough. I've tried three rivers council and it's a no.
Churches I've contacted the following -

St Mary's
St Michael All Angels
St James
St Mark's
Christ Church
St Peter's
St John the Evangelist

He passed away before the crematorium opened.

So I'm feeling well and truly stumped!
B_Brown1987

Postby meekhcs » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:57 am

Hmmmm the hospital had to have released his body somewhere! Perhaps as had been suggested earlier local Undertakers or try and find out if hospital records are available? Why would he be buried elsewhere when the Family seemed settled in the Watford area?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:07 am

It's a real mystery this huh?
They definitely have to have released it somewhere. The hospital isn't there any more but records must have gone somewhere so that's my next line of attack that and waiting for the marriage certificate. Should be here before the end of the week.
I'm beginning to wonder if they buried him at the bottom of the garden in Chester Road!!!

I can't think of other possibilities, the law firm he did his will through have changed over the years but I don't think they could tell me anything. So perhaps funeral homes and Peace Memorial Records are the way to go.
B_Brown1987

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:47 pm

meekhcs wrote:Why would he be buried elsewhere when the Family seemed settled in the Watford area?

But what if he wanted to be cremated? There are a few mentions of Watford people being cremated at Golders Green, perhaps because there was nowhere else nearer. It's a bit desperate, but BB seems to be running out of places!

B_Brown1987 wrote:I know the crematorium in Watford opened in 1959 so this would be too late.
ianbee

Postby B_Brown1987 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:22 pm

I am indeed running out of places but I paid a very helpful lady at Golders Green to check their records and also a no!!

I really can't believe I am running out of places to try.
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Sorry I missed Golders off my list. That is definitely all the places I've contacted now though the above list with the addition of Golders.
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Well fellow Family History seekers I have excellent news. I have managed to solve the mystery!
I had a phone call this afternoon from Margaret Wilson (nee Peck)! I did a little digging on the Croxley Green address and found it was still in the name of M Wilson. So I posted a letter yesterday explaining who I am, the connection and the research I've been doing. Sent her some of the tree and Philip's story as I had it... popped my home number and postal address on it. She called me! 95 bless her heart. So unexpected. She's going to send me some pictures of her Dad as she has lots and no children of her own who will want them.
Philip was interred here! He was cremated in Norfolk and then interred at the little chapel in Shropham. The chapel is no more so I'm not sure what became of the residents. But an answer!
Also he never came home to Norfolk purely because of work and chauffeuring. No other reason, they used to holiday here. She said there is at least one or two Peck's in Norwich still. How amazing!
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Also big thank you to everyone for all your help. You've filled in some big gaps.
Thank you Sally so much.
B_Brown1987

Postby meekhcs » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:56 pm

What marvellous news! Well done! Great to finally have an answer and to find a 95 year old relative! I hope you get to meet her.

Sally
meekhcs

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries