Moderator Control Panel ]

Philip William Peck

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Philip William Peck

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:34 am

Hi Sally,

Thank you for that amazing reply. You are correct that P.G Wilson is the son in law. I ordered Philip's Death certificate a few months back and the person that registered his death is P.G. Wilson (son in law) so I'll have a look for the marriage certificate as the two events were so close. Good thought process there.

I contacted St Mary's last night via Facebook as two emails hadn't been picked up. Apparently most of their graves have gone and only a handful remain. I would have to go look myself although I do have a friend in Watford! Also as they are in the middle of a refurb their records are currently locked away and not accessible for 6 months. They are going to ask the church warden for suggestions. I'll check if I have contacted the other church already. May well have to go back to archive/record office perhaps.
I wondered whether ordering Emily's Will and Probate would give me anything but possibly not.
Thanks again Sally for all your help and thoughts on the matter.
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 am

Just checked back through my emails and the results from one of my paid searches were

2. Sources consulted:
• DP/117C/1/31 Register of Services 1954 – 1959, Church of St Michael and All Angels
• DP/117B/1/10 Register of Burials 1943 – 1962, St John the Evangelist, Watford
• Deceased Online
• Watford Observer, August – September 1955

3. Results of research:
Both the Register of Services and Register of Burials were search including years on either side of the date of 1955 and we found to contain no entries for a Philip William Peck between the years 1954 – 1957.

A search of Decease Online, which contains burial records for Carpenters Park Cemetery from 1954 to 2010, yielded no results for Philip William Peck.

The Watford Observer, August – September 1955 death notices were checked but with no listing for a Philip William Peck.

I know I have contacted other Churches on the list which include St Mary's. I think I may need to take myself off to Watford and see what records I can consult there for some of the other churches and have a look at what remains in St Mary's Church. I will order their marriage certificate too as it seems a good lead.
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:19 am

DianaCanada wrote:Have you tried the funeral homes where he lived?
Perhaps placing an ad or letter in a local paper might bring something to light. It was a long time ago but someone might remember something.

It's one avenue I've not tried, not sure if funeral home's would keep records that far back though? :-/
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am

So I now know that Emily Peck was cremated on the 17th of December 1982 so hopes of her being buried and with Philip are out the window. But at least I know what happened to her, the applicant was Margaret Wilson. If Margaret is still alive she's about 95/96. I'm waiting for her marriage certificate to come through now and see what light it sheds. West Herts Crem need more info to see if they have a record for her, which perhaps a marriage certificate will give me.

Thank you everyone for your help so far.
B_Brown1987

Postby meekhcs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 am

Morning!

From everything you have written this morning the one thing that sticks out for me is that you make no mention of Vicarage Road or any other municipal cemeteries.

As I mentioned in my post I found all my husband's ancestor's graves through Bereavement Services in Southampton who hold details of all the municipal cemeteries there.

By the mid 1900s very few town/city churches would have graveyards with unused plots. So, as was the case with my husband's Family, the Funeral service took place in their local church and they were then laid to rest in the municipal cemetery. I think this is very likely to have happened to Philip.

Just because Emily was cremated it doesn't mean she wasn't laid to rest with Philip. Do you know if her casket was collected ?

I would find out if Bereavement Services in Watford can help. As I said before the burial details forthe cemetery must be recorded somewhere.

Sending for the marriage certificate is a good idea.

A hint for any future posts, always include every piece of info relating to the Family of the person you are searching for that you have. You may think it's not relevant but it inevitably throws up a link that moves the search on eg in this case the addresses on the probate records for Mother and son in law.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 am

The 1939 register has Peter G Wilson living at 1 The Crescent Croxley Green Ricksmanworth so that was obviously his Family home. Maybe He and Margaret lived there after their marriage, and at some stage Margaret's Mother Emily moved in with them.
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:09 am

Hi,
Sorry I'm a bit new to this. I've been beaverinf away on this for years without realising this forum was here.
Vicarage Road was definitely checked but one of the kind people I was talking to from St Mary's often strolls through so he is going to take a look for me next time he goes. Just to double check. I will fish through my emails and make a list of everywhere I have contacted. It is possible she was, I have to ring back West Herts Crem so I will enquire when I call back. I'll have a look and contact a Watford bereavement service and see if they can assist.
I saw that too this morning on the 1939 register, yes I suspect it was the Wilson family home and Emily moved in there after Philip passed. I tried to do a little search on the house but nothing comes up on land registry. I found an electoral roll which shows Margaret living there still. Think it was dated 2003-2010. But after that I have found nothing new for her.
B_Brown1987

Postby elsabels » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am

Death of son in law

Name: Peter George Wilson
Death Age: 74
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1918
Registration Date: Nov 1992
Registration district: Watford Hertfordshire
Volume: 10 Page: 769
elsabels

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Thank you. :-)
B_Brown1987

Postby B_Brown1987 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 am

Me again....here is the answer from St Mary's.
Hi Becky, just got a response from Roger, a former church warden at St Mary’s;

The churchyard at St Mary's went out of use in the 19th century and so there is no possibility that he would have been buried at St Mary's. It is possible to search online for records of burials at the Watford cemeteries but of course he could have been buried at another churchyard. St Mary's register of services for 1955 will be at Herts Archives in Hertford.

On the more general point, I would imagine that the local historical society have made a record of burials in St Mary's churchyard insofar as these can be determined from the gravestones. There are various documents on the church's history in one of the church safes but I have not looked at these in detail - they might contain the information. Otherwise Watford Museum or Herts Archives would be sources.

So now I'm waiting on the marriage certificate for Margaret and Peter to see if it points me in the right direction.
I get a few different results when searching Watford Bereavement Services so deciding which one is the best option .
B_Brown1987

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries