Moderator Control Panel ]

Philip William Peck

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Philip William Peck

Postby meekhcs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Following on from my earlier post The Peace Memorial Hospital was in the parish of St Mary's Watford and the cemetery for the parish was Vicarage Rd Cemetery.
The website covering the cemetery is Watford Borough Council www.watford.gov.uk telephone 01923 226400
St Mary's church website is www.stmaryswatford.org
I appreciate you have looked at findagrave etc but they will only have details of graves with legible memorial stones and will certainly not include every grave in each cemetery they feature. Vicarage Rd is a huge cemetery.
The council should be able to provide you with a grave ref. or tell you where you can obtain one IF PWP was buried there
The church may well have their own copies of burial records and thereforeshould be able tohelpyou as you have the date of death.Again if not they will tell you where you can obtain the record.
Small costs may be involved.
As was said earlier it would be more likely he was buried locally to his death asit was very expensive to transport a body to another county. Usually you are required topay a charge for each county you pass through.
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 pm

meekhcs wrote:Following on from my earlier post The Peace Memorial Hospital was in the parish of St Mary's Watford and the cemetery for the parish was Vicarage Rd Cemetery.
The website covering the cemetery is Watford Borough Council telephone 01923 226400
St Mary's church website is
I appreciate you have looked at findagrave etc but they will only have details of graves with legible memorial stones and will certainly not include every grave in each cemetery they feature. Vicarage Rd is a huge cemetery.
The council should be able to provide you with a grave ref. or tell you where you can obtain one IF PWP was buried there
The church may well have their own copies of burial records and thereforeshould be able tohelpyou as you have the date of death.Again if not they will tell you where you can obtain the record.
Small costs may be involved.
As was said earlier it would be more likely he was buried locally to his death asit was very expensive to transport a body to another county. Usually you are required topay a charge for each county you pass through.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I combed back through my emails to see who I have contacted in this epic hunt. I've spoken to the council a few times and had no joy at all, they are unable to track Philip or his wife ( thought she might be easier to find and perhaps they were buried together. I've had no joy!)
I'm not certain I've contacted St Mary's, I've spoken to a lot of churches so just double checking but if I haven't I will certainly give them a try.
B_Brown1987

Postby meekhcs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:54 pm

I see from records on Ancestry and FMP that Philip was in themilitary in WW1.He joined the Buffs (East Kent Regt). He was a POW in Germany. Have you contacted them? Their records are held at The National Army Museum. Philip was certainly hospitalised in1939 and mayhavebeen a long term patient. Perhaps it was as a result of his war service?
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:34 pm

meekhcs wrote:I see from records on Ancestry and FMP that Philip was in themilitary in WW1.He joined the Buffs (East Kent Regt). He was a POW in Germany. Have you contacted them? Their records are held at The National Army Museum. Philip was certainly hospitalised in1939 and mayhavebeen a long term patient. Perhaps it was as a result of his war service?

I checked my emails & I emailed St Mary's back in March and they didn't reply. So I've sent them another email, see if I get an answer this time.

I left a message on The Buffs message board and a lovely man has come back to me telling me about Philip's time with The Buffs and indeed a little about his discharge. He was given disability due to his time as a POW and being in poor health due to poor food and exposure so the record states. I know he got caught up in a gas attack too. I suspect he was in and out of hospital towards the end.
The 1939 record shows he was a chauffeur still, I wonder who he was driving for. The reply on the Buff's forum told me who he was driving for prior to his military service. I also have the full account of the attack in which he was captured. Fascinating.
B_Brown1987

Postby meekhcs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:13 pm

The 1939 register for wife Emily and daughter Margaret that Elsabels found shows them living in the household of Sir John Caulcott, chairman of Barclays Bank. Emily upd domestic duties and Margaret shop assistant. As you can imagine there is a retinue of staff. The Butler is also the chauffeur but perhaps when Philip was well enough he was the Family chauffeur??
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:53 am

That's a possibility isn't it. I'd imagine following on from being in WW1 and captured etc. Getting back into something like chauffeuring must have been much needed.
Trying to imagine what he was like!just wish I could find his final resting place.
B_Brown1987

Postby meekhcs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

You will, some little snippet if info will come along and it will all slot into place

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby B_Brown1987 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 pm

I got Philip's Will today. It told me nothing! He made it 3 days before he died (this made me feel a bit sad) but it just states he leaves everything to Emily and what is left when she passes away is to go to Margaret. Nothing about burial etc. Dang.
B_Brown1987

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Have you tried the funeral homes where he lived?
Perhaps placing an ad or letter in a local paper might bring something to light. It was a long time ago but someone might remember something.
DianaCanada

Postby meekhcs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:15 am

S0......We know Philip William Peck died at the Watford Peace Memorial Hospital 12 Aug 1955.
His probate record dated 24 Sept 1955 gives his home address as 7 Chester Rd Watford.
The 1939 Register shows he was also in the Peace Memorial Hospital - whether it was a long term or series of shorter stays we do not know.

The 1939 Register records his wife Emily and daughter Margaret living at the home of Sir John Caulcott Oaklands Hempstead Rd Watford.

Wife Emily died in 1982 and her residence on her probate record was I The Crescent Croxley Green Ricksmanworth.

The 1939 record for daughter Margaret makes no mention of a marriage. Her record is viewable on both FMP and Ancestry BUT there is no obvious death. HOWEVER there is a marriage record of a Margaret Peck to a Peter G Wilson GRO Ref: 1955 Q2 Watford 4B, 483
Peter G Wilson appears to have passed away in 1992 and the address on his probate record was 1 The Crescent Croxley Green Rickmansworth same as Margaret's Mother Emily.

I don't think you are going to solve this problem without throwing a little more money and/or time at it.

You could order the marriage certificate to see if it is Philip and Emily's daughter.If it is, it will give you her address and the church in which she married. It is highly probable that as the two events were so close together, that her Father's Funeral service would have taken place at the same church.

Or

Given that his address on his probate record was 7 Chester Rd you could approach your search from that angle. Chester Rd lies between St Mary's Church High Street and St Michaels and All Angels Church Mildred Avenue.

Hertfordshire Records Office does not seem to have many burial records for the churches in Watford for the year you are searching in according to their collection list. I know you have phoned and emailed a lot of places. BUT

I would try and speak to someone in the actual records office and ask if the list on their website is up to date? If they don't hold the records are they still held by the individual churches? Are you allowed to visit the churches and view records? Who should you speak to concerning cemetery plans for the local cemeteries. Somewhere there must be a list of the graves in each cemetery. In Southampton where my husbands Ancestors are buried we found all the graves through Bereavement Services. I don't know w hether that is peculiar to Southampton or if all Bereavement Services offer the service.

Either you may have to spend a day in the area searching yourself or pay someone to do it for you. If the records you need to search are in different places this may prove costly.

Unless someone like Ianbee, with his endless list of resources, can suggest another avenue I don't know what else to suggest.

Find a grave ,Deceasedonline do not hold burial records for Watford for 1955 which is why you drew a blank there.

Personally I would order the marriage certificate because if it is correct it should narrow down your search area.If you don't want to do that then concentrate on the two churches I mentioned. Logic suggests that he is buried in Watford.

Good Luck
Sally
meekhcs

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries