Moderator Control Panel ]

Whitmore Badge

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Whitmore Badge

Postby Maddyco » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Amongst my father's possessions, after he passed away, I found a silver badge which I'd like to know more about. The front says Whitmore Badge 1889-90. On the back is inscribed St Jude's, Chelsea plus the name of the recipient. Does anyone have any knowledge of this and what this badge was for, please. I've looked online but can find no reference to it. It looks as though St Jude's, Chelsea might be a church but that's as far as I've got. Many thanks.
Maddyco

Re: Whitmore Badge

Postby sdup26 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Is the name of the recipient male or female? I ask because there was a St Jude Home and Industrial School for girls in Chelsea around that time, and maybe there were badges for good conduct or similar.
sdup26

Postby Maddyco » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi, Thanks for replying. The recipient's name is an initial plus surname, so there's no way of telling re male or female. I saw the St Jude's Home, too, but I doubt anyone in such a place would be awarded a silver medal. Having now done a bit more digging, I'm wondering if it is something to do with a Masonic Lodge. The hallmark is MDL (Marcus David Loewenstark) and that has links to the Masons.
Attachments
Whitmore Badge Front wdytya.jpg
Whitmore Badge
Whitmore Badge Front wdytya.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Maddyco

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Charles Algernon Whitmore was MP for Chelsea
He seems to have had a connection to the St Jude's Institute, Queens Park, which was quite sporty. Apparently Queens Park Rangers FC has it's origins from that.

And also the Queens Park Harriers (runners)
https://www.queensparkharriers.org.uk/
Mentions in the Sporting Life, late 1889, of a one mile handicap race for a valuable cup to be presented by Mr. C. A. Whitmore, M.P. and named after him, the "Whitmore Challenge Cup."

So just maybe your badge is connected to the St Jude's Institute?
The source of the Institute? I think it was St Jude's Church in Kensal Green. But the badge says Chelsea!

EDITED It might all be unravelling, but I'd still consider the MP connection, just in case!
ianbee

Postby Maddyco » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. Looks like I have some more research to do! The badge is definitely honouring some achievement, so I think I need to try and find out who the recipient of the award is. I don't know if he is related to me and unfortunately, I can't ask my Dad. At least I can start with your Mr Whitmore and find out what his association with the badge might be.

Thank you.
Maddyco

Postby ianbee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 am

Hi
There's another possibility! The St. Jude's Young Men's Club.
Mr Whitmore was handing out silver badges ("personal gifts") to their winning gymnastics team in 1890. There are some names mentioned!
Ian
Attachments
Sporting Life 10 May 1890.JPG
Sporting Life 10 May 1890.JPG (163.98 KiB) Viewed 910 times
ianbee

Postby Maddyco » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:00 pm

You are not going to believe this.... the recipient's name on the badge is H Pidgeon!! What an amazing result. Now I need to find out who this fellow was and if we're related. I have no idea where my Dad got the badge from but it would be nice to reunite it with the descendants of the said young Pidgeon.

Sent from my mobile using the WDYTYA forum
Maddyco

Return to General research queries