Moderator Control Panel ]

Centre House, Front St and other addresses, NEWBOTTLE

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Centre House, Front St and other addresses, NEWBOTTLE

Postby Jayne8471 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Has anyone on the forum any knowledge of Newbottle, near Houghton-le-spring? I am trying to locate Centre House which was on Front St and has either been renamed or demolished. My ancestors, the Nicholsons, lived there according to the 1881 census. The 1911 census states that it was a tenement. I can't find anything further about it or where it actually was located.

I am also looking for any information on 1 Philadelphia Lane which was close to Front Street. Only 3 and 3a appear to exist today. Were 1 and 2 demolished in order to widen the road? Do they still exist and, if so, where/what are they now? Also, Newby Cottage, was home to the Nicholsons in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This was the maiden name of my ancestor - did they build it?

Would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this area or the Nicholsons. Thank you.
Jayne8471

Re: Centre House, Front St and other addresses, NEWBOTTLE

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 pm

OS 1895 map
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... rs=168&b=1

Tonight we will have to make do with OCR and a bit of guesswork!
Sunderland Echo, 21 February 1933
Newbottle
Very desirable road improvement will be carried out in Front Street, Newbottle, the County Council at their meeting on Wednesday agreed to the recommendation of the Works Committee. It is proposed that the block of property known as Centre House, in Front Street, shall be demolished.
This property comprises the William IV. Inn and two cottages at the rear. The public house has lost its licence, and the whole of the property, which forms an island site in the middle of the road, is in a most dilapidated condition. The owner, Mr J. Brown, of Houghton-le-Sprlng, has agreed to sell the property for £365, and the committee recommend that it should be bought, demolished, and the road greatly widened at this spot....
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Revised map of 1939, Centre House appears to be gone
https://maps.nls.uk/view/120935190

Doesn't seem to have zoomed in! It's bottom left.
ianbee

Postby Jayne8471 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Thank you so much, Ian, for finding this report. I have found an old photo of the island and the building which sits on it which I now know to be Centre House!
Jayne8471

Return to General research queries