Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth Record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Birth Record

Postby VickiO » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 pm

I've been trying to find the birth record of Sidney Gordon Wood, from Kingston. 29 Nov 1920, is on his service record and death certificate (1985).

It seems his parents weren't married until Apr-Jun 1921. Sidney William Wood and Beatrice Mursell.

There is then a Sidney G Wood born the same quarter in 1921, in Kingston...…. Do I assume his birth was then registered after they were married and maybe he was a little surprise before they were married?

Could a couple register a birth date, potentially around 6 months, after the baby was born?

Thank you for your help.
VickiO

Re: Birth Record

Postby meekhcs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Have you checked to see if his birth was registered under his Mother’s name?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby phsvm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Since the introduction of birth registrations the legal limit for registering a birth was (and still is) 42 days.
phsvm

Postby VickiO » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm

[quote="meekhcs"]Have you checked to see if his birth was registered under his Mother’s name?

I've just looked and can't see any records anywhere near the right year.
VickiO

Postby woodchal » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:22 pm

From the GRO index we can see that the Mother's maiden name on the 1921 registration is Mursell. Does that tie in?

If its the right birth then I would expect that its more likely that there was confusion on the year of his birth later on and that it is the army records/death certificate that is wrong not the registration.

You can get a PDF of the birth certificate from GRO for £6, might be worth it.
woodchal

Postby AntonyM » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:16 am

phsvm wrote:Since the introduction of birth registrations the legal limit for registering a birth was (and still is) 42 days.

Births should be registered within 42 days, but can be done after that. The current limit for a registrar to be able to register a birth is 12 months (and was the case then), after which it can still be done, but only with the permission of the Registrar General.

Late registrations do happen, although many turn out to be re-registrations when investigated ( doesn't appear to be in this case if the 1921 entry is correct, but you need to see exactly what the certificates say).
AntonyM

Postby elsabels » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:39 pm

It seems his parents weren't married until Apr-Jun 1921. Sidney William Wood and Beatrice Mursell.

The marriage entry is on line
Name: Beatrice Emily Mursell
Birth Year: abt 1902
Marriage Date: 3 Jun 1921
Marriage Place: Kingston Upon Thames, St Luke, Surrey, England
Father: Henry James Mursell
Spouse: Sidney William Wood
Brides Father: Henry James MURSELL
Beatrice Emily Maud b 15 October 1901

Is this why Sydney gave his year of birth as 1920?

Parliament extended conscription to all men age 19-41 (December 2, 1939)
elsabels

Return to General research queries