Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to find parents of my 4th great grandad

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Trying to find parents of my 4th great grandad

Postby benn34 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08 am

Hi guys,

For a long time now I have hit a brick wall trying to find the parents of my 4th great grandad Thomas Lamb if anyone is able to help please?

He lived in the Lambeth area of Surrey and according to his burial record in 1821 (non conformist record) his birth should be around 1789, his occupation was labourer and he signed his marriage banns in 1813 to an Ann Bowers and I have all his childrens details. My biggest problem is I cant pinpoint an actual birth record for him along with his parents details. I dont know if he was born in Lambeth or if he is from somewhere else and I am completely stumped where to look.

I always do well on my family tree but I have been stuck on Thomas for quite a few years now and its the one line of my tree that I want to be able to crack as its my late fathers direct line.

Any help or advise would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Ann
benn34

Re: Trying to find parents of my 4th great grandad

Postby stefano » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Do you know if he was born in Lancashire or Durham. There are a few Thomas Lamb on there.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
stefano

Postby MayHam » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Thomas Lamb and Ann Bowers banns and marriage record can be found on Ancestry (London Church of England marriages and banns, 1754-1932.) The banns say they are both from the parish of St. Mary, Lambeth. The marriage was witnessed by J. Cooper & J.L. Gawler.

Couldn't find an exact match for Thomas or Ann in Lambeth.
There was a Thomas Lamb baptized in 1787 in St Mary, Rotherhithe, Southwark, Surrey, England to Robert & Sarah Lamb. (London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812)

Also, Ann Elizabeth Bowers in 1797 in Saint Saviour, Southwark, Surrey, England to Thomas & Sarah Bowers. (England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975)
MayHam

Postby benn34 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:16 pm

stefano wrote:Do you know if he was born in Lancashire or Durham. There are a few Thomas Lamb on there.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

Hi,

I dont know but something worth me looking into. I get the feeling because he was a labourer that he might of been born elsewhere and moved to London to find work, not sure though.
benn34

Postby benn34 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:44 pm

MayHam

I found the same baptism in Rotherhithe but when I looked at the record Thomas Lamb was already 3 years old when he was baptised.
benn34

Postby sdup26 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Have you found Thomas and/or Ann on the 1841 census? Even a 'not born in county' might help.
sdup26

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 am

sdup26 wrote:Have you found Thomas and/or Ann on the 1841 census? Even a 'not born in county' might help.

Unfortunately, the original post says that Thomas died in 1821 so he won't appear on he 1841 Census.

There may be wills for Lambs in Lambeth or Southwark that might mention him so it might be worth looking to see if there are any available on Ancestry to download for free (assuming you subscribe to Ancestry).

It's also worth bearing in mind his age on the burial record could be out by a couple of years as the person who wrote the record may not have known his exact age.
ksouthall

Postby benn34 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 am

sdup26 wrote:Have you found Thomas and/or Ann on the 1841 census? Even a 'not born in county' might help.

Hi, I only have Ann on the 1841 census as Thomas died in 1821.
benn34

Postby benn34 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:15 am

ksouthall wrote:

Unfortunately, the original post says that Thomas died in 1821 so he won't appear on he 1841 Census.

There may be wills for Lambs in Lambeth or Southwark that might mention him so it might be worth looking to see if there are any available on Ancestry to download for free (assuming you subscribe to Ancestry).

It's also worth bearing in mind his age on the burial record could be out by a couple of years as the person who wrote the record may not have known his exact age.

Hi, I have looked for a will for Thomas himself and found nothing but never thought to check other Lambs in the area :roll: thankfully I do have an Ancestry subscription so will have a look now.
benn34

Return to General research queries