Moderator Control Panel ]

Staffordshire Police records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Staffordshire Police records

Postby richardrcj1981 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi,

I recently found out that a relative of mine called Joseph Bates was a Policeman in Walsall, Staffordshire in 1887/1888.

I have tried to look for any information on him in the Police, but I am not having much luck.

Can anyone please help me on where I need to look?

thanks

Richard
richardrcj1981

Re: Staffordshire Police records

Postby elsabels » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm

You could try this site:

Staffordshire Police Force Registers, 1842-1920

www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=B
elsabels

Postby sdup26 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:20 pm

I can't see Joseph's name in the Staffordshire Police Force Registers 1842 -1920. You say you recently found out that he was a PC - is your source usually reliable? Were you given any other information that might help?

I'm adding this - I've just seen Joseph's marriage entry, 29/3/1887, in which he gives his occupation as Policeman. As he's not listed in the Staffs Police Registers, maybe he worked outside the county, and returned for his marriage. Did he and Mary Margaret have children? If so, what is his occupation on their birth certificates?
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 pm

sdup26 wrote:I can't see Joseph's name in the Staffordshire Police Force Registers 1842 -1920. You say you recently found out that he was a PC - is your source usually reliable? ...

Ah - there is a wrinkle to be aware of - Staffordshire Police Force Registers, 1842-1920 covers not police in Staffordshire, but police in the Staffordshire Force. The link mentions
The Staffordshire Constabulary was established in 1842 as the main police force for the county of Staffordshire, although a number of boroughs maintained their own forces until as late as 1968

And in fact Walsall seems to have been one of those boroughs with their own force - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walsall_Borough_Police. So Walsall Police was not part of the Staffs Constabulary. As Walsall Police went into West Midlands back in 1966, there must be a chance that the Walsall records are somewhere in the West Midlands - and in fact, if we consult the TNA Discovery Catalogue, searching for "Walsall Borough Police", http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Walsall+Borough+Police we find that Walsall Local History Centre has various records. I haven't checked through what's there, so I don't know if they are the only people to hold WBP records, nor do I know if it includes any staff records from that era.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulberyl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Some officer records for Walsall Police are held by the West Midlands Police Museum. Unfortunately the museum is current closed whilst plans for its relocation are finalised. However you can submit enquiries to them at Museum@West-Midlands.pnn.police.uk
paulberyl

Postby richardrcj1981 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone.

sdup26, Yes that marriage is my Joseph Bates. He had one child Edith a year later and on her baptism his occupation is also listed as a Policeman.

AdrianB38, That's very interesting I didn't know that Walsall had their own Police department. I live close to the Walsall Local History Centre so I will pay them a visit.

thanks

Richard
richardrcj1981

Return to General research queries