Moderator Control Panel ]

Problem with Ancestry results

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Problem with Ancestry results

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Whilst searching on Ancestry, I am presented with a list of 110 results, the breakdown by Category also shows a total of 110 results, and includes 100 results for the 1851 UK Census - so far so good! (The numbers in the Category breakdown of the results are the same, whether I’m looking at the Records Screen or the Category screen).

However, when I click to view these 100 results for the 1851 Census, I am told there are only 10 records, and can’t see the other 90! (They are visible on the original results screen!)

Does anyone else suffer similar problems? I have raised it with Ancestry support, but they are as much use as a chocolate teapot, and as usual just point me in the direction of their search guides, with no attempt to explain why one of their screens say there are 100 results, yet another says there are only 10!
Mick Loney

Re: Problem with Ancestry results

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi Mick,

I've had this problem too and always have had since I first started using ancestry..I've not bothered reporting this particular problem as not had much joy solving other queries in the past. Not much help to you I k ow but at least you know you're not alone!

Cheers

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby meekhcs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Mick

I think they have grown so big that they cannot keep up with all the glitches that have crept in.

I have recently started a new private tree just for our direct line so that I can get rid of everything else. I have painstakingly written out all the addresses in full to include the country yet one of the first searches I did on my mother in law showed her passing away in the USA even though I had written the full English address!!

Needless to say as soon as I have completed it I am moving it away from Ancestry so that I can add the photos etc!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm

meekhcs wrote:Mick
I have painstakingly written out all the addresses in full to include the country yet one of the first searches I did on my mother in law showed her passing away in the USA even though I had written the full English address!!

Sally

It's not just me then! :D Like you, I am always seeing results from my tree, where location is completely different from what is shown in my tree. I too clearly specify the Country in ALL my places, yet more often than not, they insist on changing an English placename to one in the US!

Mike
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:34 pm

I have also seen a loss in records - usually the obvious one of "1 record in XXX" but when I attempt to get just XXX, there isn't one at all - it's zero, nul points.

As for the search coming up with other places in the wrong country, I've tried it from guys who live in London to see if I get the other London (England v Ontario) but no problems in either direction.

Are you searching from the tree looking for records?

Because I never read the first set of results from such a search because it gives everything and half a dozen kitchen sinks. I always edit the search to remove all the relatives, alter things to exact etc. So maybe the garbage could be in the first lot and I've never noticed and cared even less because it's so wide?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Adrian

Because I have already collated Mum in laws details elsewhere I added them to this new tree complete with full addresses citations etc. To make sure Ancestry hadn't added any records I was unaware of since I had previously updated her info from my own records, I pressed the search button at the top of her page to check other results. Her place of death was changed from England to the USA by cobbling together parts of the UK address I had entered to make a valid US adress. I ask myself, if Ancestry is clever enough to do this why can't it recognise what I have typed in?? :!: :!:

Usually I enter precise criteria when searching, but with only 8 people in my new tree I thought I was on safe ground!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Adrian,
My tree is just there for others, I never ever use it, and certainly don’t search from it. I might review the odd hint that Ancestry throws up, but that’s it.

My problems manifest themselves in the simplest of ‘Search All Records’ searches. I think the category filter system is completely screwed.

I’ve come to the conclusion that when one clicks to view just that category, Ancestry is carrying out another search, and with perhaps all fields are being set to ‘Exact’

I know from experince that their use of ‘Exact’ is totally screwed up. For example if you search for a random forename born ‘1811’ in ‘Wakefield, Yorkshire, England’ (place selected from Ancestry auto-complete box), it often returns zero results! How likely is that? I could go on...

Mike
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 pm

OK - I just managed to make my Bristolian ancestor come up with census answers for the US Federal Census and the Canadian Census and Australia. But seriously, you need to look at what Ancestry is searching before you get surprised...

To be clear, I was on his profile and launched "Search On Ancestry". All his profile places terminate in England. Please folks look at the search that Ancestry is creating....

Anc Search.JPG
Search generated
Anc Search.JPG (31.49 KiB) Viewed 989 times

Firstly notice that the generated search is searching All Collections. Oddly mine usually default to "UK & Ireland" which is why my Bristols have never appeared in Massachusetts and I've never noticed the sort of oddities mentioned here. But here I did an All Collections search and then this, which kicked Ancestry into looking at the whole of Planet Earth.

When I alter that Collections to "UK & Ireland" and click "Update", the US, Canada and Oz disappear.

If you also click "Edit Search", you see that you have generated a search with every "Exact" item switched off. This means Ancestry will search everything and just prioritise from the text - thus, a Thomas Salter living in Wisconsin appears in the censuses (when I'm searching All Collections again) because his name and age are a pretty good match for my 3G-GF. Location's garbage but the rest isn't bad. And you've said (perhaps unknowingly) that really, the match doesn't have to be that close because it's right up at Broad Matching - which I would characterise as "Right Planet?"

Before you start saying that Ancestry should generate a tighter search, ask yourself how you expect to find a baptism (say) record which states that someone died in 1873? That data is never found in a baptism record. The search has to be switched right down to a vague match to get baptisms and marriages and censuses and deaths and .... because nothing, absolutely nothing (apart from someone else's tree) matches all those items on a tight match.

I cannot stress enough that Ancestry cannot concoct magic - it creates the least worst search that it can to do it all in one go, and if you look at the generated search, you'll start to understand why you get the wide answers that you do.

If you don't want garbage results, then you need to immediately alter the generated search and rerun it to cover just England & Wales or whatever collections you want, and start tightening those criteria. I altered 3G-GF's birthplace from Gloucestershire "broad" to Gloucestershire "exact to county" and went from 3,829 census records across Planet Earth to 34.

And if I've misunderstood then I shall go away in shame!!! ;)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Mike - your experience sounds different from the search from a tree.... I'm saying nothing about that...

when one clicks to view just that category, Ancestry is carrying out another search, and with perhaps all fields are being set to ‘Exact’

An interesting idea - I have certainly had the drill down into a category issues...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Perhaps I am being naive here but I entered this Lady onto my tree with the following details
Screenshot_2018-08-11 May Parmiter - Facts(2).png
Screenshot_2018-08-11 May Parmiter - Facts(2).png (19.22 KiB) Viewed 965 times

I then pressed the search button at the top of her page and the search results came up like this
Screenshot_2018-08-11 May Parmiter Jopling - Ancestry com.png
Screenshot_2018-08-11 May Parmiter Jopling - Ancestry com.png (21.17 KiB) Viewed 965 times

I am not querying the search results that came up but the fact all the addresses had been changed in the search filters??

Sally

edited because I made a mess of the attachments first time round
meekhcs

Next

Return to General research queries