Moderator Control Panel ]

Problem with Ancestry results

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Problem with Ancestry results

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Sally,
I wouldn’t expect Ancestry to recognise that the first part of your place names are actual street addresses! As far as I’m aware the GEDCOM standard uses ADDR and PLAC fields to store a location.
The PLAC field normally contains just the ‘Town’, ‘County’, ‘Country’ (may be different for US), whilst the ADDR part contains the rest (i.e. the Street part of the address).

When you do a search on Ancestry, and begin typing the place name, the Autofill box will only look for a Town/City beginning with what you type i.e. the PLAC component. Entering ‘West End’ will cause Ancestry to look for a town beginning ‘West End’!

How you would enter both fields into Ancestry I’ve no idea, as I only load my tree via a GEDCOM import, and my software uses both fields.

Something for you to consider.

Mike

Update: I have just looked at my Ancestry tree, and it would seem that only the PLAC component has been included in my tree! The ADDR component, although in my GEDCOM file, Ancestry seems to have ignored when my tree was imported!
Mike
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Sally - thanks for the screen shots - I'd never have guessed that was the situation ("picture is worth a thousand words" and all that).

Like Mike, I am fairly certain that the problem has come about because you've put the street address and everything into the place-name. I'm on my phone right now so crucial details will escape me, but essentially Ancestry expects that to be a place such as a town, etc. I've always put the street, church, factory, etc, in the notes. In GEDCOM terms, if it means anything to you, the PLACe goes into Ancestry's place name and the ADDR goes nowhere unless I stick it in manually, into the notes.

This second bit is my guess at what's going on. If you type something into that place name, Ancestry offers alternatives. It expects you to choose one of those. (This is where my memory is potentially awry as to how this happens). I suspect that you are ignoring Ancestry's suggestions. I also suspect that behind the scenes, Ancestry records the place as a code number. If you choose one of Ancestry's suggestions, it records the correct code number, which is then used in the generated search from the tree - only we see the text version of the code. In my case, I'd see a search using Bristol, Gloucestershire, England or whatever because I chose that from Ancestry's suggestions.

In your case, because you've ignored their suggestions, the code number is probably something completely odd - because you never set it properly. So when it generates the search, it uses this totally odd number and turns it back into the corresponding place, one which looks nothing like anything you've ever seen. Or slightly like it after a nightmare mangling.

I was on totally the wrong track before and could still be. But I am pretty certain that ignoring Ancestry's place name suggestions is a bad idea. There are times that I've done it myself in the tree. But since I tend not to use the search from the tree, or I rip it apart without reading the output, it could be that mine generate garbage search parameters and I've never noticed.

Warning - this is a bit of a guess. In fact it's a lot of a guess. But maybe you can try editting the place names, choosing an Ancestry suggestion, and seeing what happens to the generated search. At least you only have a few. I suggest that you put the street into the notes - but I've no idea if you can ever download that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Sally - to be explicit - I would expect to see just Southampton, Hampshire, England in the place names for her birth and death in your tree. Even then, you may need to have clicked Southampton in the list that Ancestry offered.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 am

I posted my query to Ancestry who responded very quickly with the following:-

"Hello Sally,

My name is Sheri, a Directly Ancestry Expert. I am an experienced Ancestry user who helps others by answering their questions. I will be happy to assist you.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. This is a known issue. Ancestry is aware of the issue and they are working as quickly as possible to resolve it.

However, Ancestry has not provided a time-frame for when the issue will be fixed, only that it is a high priority.

Please feel free to give your feedback on how this has affected your experience at the following link:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/suggestions

Also, some members have reported success when switching to a different browser, so you might try that for now.

Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if you need further assistance."

Mike and Adrian I see where you are coming from and thank you for your explanations. If I do a straight search never put the full address in.

Simply put, because the option is there, I sometimes lazily press the search button to save typing in everything again in the search filters!! Ancestry, clever as it can be, cannot process this action, and treats our tree records and the search filter as two separate components and therefore,at the moment, is unable to marry up the two.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am

Sally,
Another side effect of having the complete address, is that Ancestry won’t be able to provide you with any decent hints from the data in your tree, something I find usefull at times.

Mike
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:50 am

Sally - I think that you mentioned moving this tree that you are developing away from Ancestry at some point.

I've no idea how you intend to do that but it might be an idea to have a go at using your intended mechanism soon, before you do too much on this tree. That way you can see if your data exports cleanly or not. It would be a major pain if the export suffers from a similar fault.... If it does export OK, then you can be reasonably certain that you can carry on in Ancestry.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 am

Mike
I agree, and once I had followed the process I pictured above I would have then deleted certain aspects of the filters to obtain the best results. It's not a process I use regularly. I usually go straight to search and build from there. I was just amazed that Ancestry, having given me that search option from my ancestors page, had transferred my data in that way.

Adrian
Yes I had already come to the same conclusion, and have already deleted the tree. I am not very good with computer technology and I think to try and transfer a tree by gedcom to something like Family Historian would throw me, especially if it didn't transfer in its entirety. I know pictures etc won't transfer and as I don't want this new tree on Ancestry I might as well build it where I want it, and add everything as I build.

Thank you both for all your replies

Sally
meekhcs

Previous

Return to General research queries