Moderator Control Panel ]

Surprise refund from GRO

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Surprise refund from GRO

Postby SDV » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

I recently ordered a PDF via the GRO online index. To my surprise the GRO gave me a refund, even though I had the correct reference having used their own index. The reason given was:

"We have been unable to process your application, please refer to the paragraph below.

Sometimes we experience difficulties with our records where the quality of the original document is poor and are unable to reproduce a pdf accordingly.

Unfortunately, on this occasion we are unable to issue a produce pdf reflecting the original document.

A full refund of £6.00 has been credited to your account via WorldPay."

I wonder what percentage of their records are in such a condition. I also wonder whether the copy held by the original record office, in this case Saint Saviour in Surrey, would be in better condition and be able to supply a copy.
SDV

Re: Surprise refund from GRO

Postby AntonyM » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:26 pm

The condition of the original register in Southwark should be completely unrelated to any copy held by GRO.
AntonyM

Postby SDV » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I am having trouble finding a contact address or e-mail for the record office. Southwark RO evidently can't supply pre 1900 certificates - the one I want is for 1875. Does anyone have any idea how I can source this birth certificate from somewhere other than the GRO?
SDV

Postby MayHam » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:14 pm

You may find a baptism record here.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db. ... e+External

You may also find this link helpful.
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/sry.html
MayHam

Postby SDV » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Many thanks. I already have a baptism record, it was the birth certificate I wanted.

I see from the link that St Saviour district was absorbed by the County of London. Does that mean that its records were transferred. If so how do I get hold of these records?

If the records were simply transferred to the GRO, then I am in a fix, as their record is not in a fit condition.

I always though that there were two records, one held by the original district and one by the GRO. Clearly the one I need to track down is the one originally held by St Saviour. The question is where are the records now that were originally held by St Saviour.

Someone must know where these records ended up.
SDV

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm

GENUKI has this link for St. Saviour's Southwark Registration District https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/st%20saviour%20southwark.html

Part of it says "Registers currently held at : Southwark" - though I'm not totally convinced that's true as St. Saviour's Southwark Registration District split three ways and some went to Lambeth. It will depend on where in the RD, the event was registered.

I notice that the Southwark site says "At the moment we cannot offer a service for the supply of pre-1900 certificates". That doesn't mean that they don't hold the certificates, just that they don't do an on-line service for them. On the Internet Archive I found a link that said,

"Researching your family history? We hold records that date back to 1837. You can still request a certificate, but we will need more information from you. "

It further went on to require the exact date of birth (err, yes, how?) etc, etc, failing which there were search fees. However, I can't find the current version of that page, so it may be that they don't want to do any of this now.

If they are refusing to supply, it would be interesting if that is a legal action (I can guess Guy's response!)

I would suggest direct contact with Southwark RD to explain that GRO decline to supply a copy and ask them to confirm the current process (don't ask them if they can, start with the assumption that they should!) for them to supply a certificate, particularly given the GRO's stance.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:30 am

St Saviours should now be part of Southwark Registration District, so they should have the original registers.

You could try ordering a certificate from GRO, rather than a pdf. The production processes are different, and if necessary they could copy the info onto a blank certificate (which is what the local office would do).
AntonyM

Postby SDV » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:57 pm

This is getting sillier and sillier.

The GRO having informed me that it could not supply a PDF, I applied for an actual certificate.

The GRO then informed me that they could not supply this either and told me to contact Southwark RO. They even supplied me with an address and e-mail contact.

So I duly e-mailed Southwark and they replied telling me to order the certificate through their online ordering service.

But when I tried to do this, the site informed me that they could at present not supply any pre-1900 birth certificates!

So how the hell do I get a copy of this certificate? I am presently waiting for Southwark to reply to my last e-mail asking them how to proceed.

I am not very hopeful as the person who answered my last e-mail told me to use their online ordering service, even though he knew I was after an 1875 birth certificate. It seems that the left hand hasn't been told by the right hand that they are not offering pre-1900 birth certificates. A total shambles.
SDV

Return to General research queries