Moderator Control Panel ]

Flora Iris Aldridge

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Flora Iris Aldridge

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

There is only one Flora Iris registered in England & Wales 1875, plus/minus 2 years - Flora Iris Rodgers.
Mention this fact because of an oddity
Death, March 1911, St George Hanover Square
Searle, Flora Iris
age 35

Buried at Wandsworth Cemetery, 10 March 1911
Image available
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -G96J-WXWJ

Abode 129 Gatliff Buildings Pimlico
Which leads to a widowed George Searle at that address in the 1911 census. His age is pretty illegible. School Keeper. Born Chelsea. Curiously it says married 9 years, no children born alive, 2 living, 3 died.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 am

Ploughing on, possibly this George Searle is the chap at 2 Ranelagh Grove, Pimlico, in 1901 (piece 13 folio 7 page 6). Age 41, School Cleaner, born Chelsea.
Married to Ellen, age 38. Daughter Rosina, 10. Mother in law Sarah Goodale.
His wife seems to have died the following year -
June qtr 1902, St George Hanover Square, Ellen Martha Searle, age 40.
And buried at Hanwell Cemetery, 23 June 1902. Abode 2 Ranelagh Grove Pimlico.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am

There is a Cambridge school record for Flora Iris Hands, born 7.10.98
Brunswick Girls' School
Admitted 1.5.11
Address 9 Melbourne Place
Parent or guardian Mrs Aves
Name of last school S. Michael's Buckingham Pal Rd, London
Left 4.10.12, Gone to work (Correspondence College)

That's interesting because that school may be a litte bit away from Hannah Rodgers in Little Albany Street, Regents Park, or at least nearer to Mr Searle.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 am

A baptism at St Paul Thornton Heath in 1894 of Jessie Eva, daughter of George John + Jane Aldridge.
Although her school records, and the seeming absence of a birth registration, make me wonder if she really was their daughter!

Mr Searle first appears at 129 Gatliff Buildings on the 1906 electoral register (mentions 164 Ebury Street)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2228170

Mad theory
Is it possible that Flora Iris split up with George Aldridge? And went to live with George Searle?
Her daughter Flora joins them and goes to school at St Michael's (where exactly was that school?)
Then in March 1911 Flora Iris (Searle) dies, and the daughter then goes up to relatives in Cambridge, attending Brunswick Girls a few months later.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:19 am

ianbee wrote:goes to school at St Michael's (where exactly was that school?)

This is it, top centre. It's at the very bottom of Buckingham Palace Road, by Ebury Square. To the south is Ranelagh Grove!
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... rs=163&b=1

Note Flask Lane, Grosvenor Hall and Semley Place (see attachment)
Also to the south is Commercial Road (on later map is Ebury Bridge Road). Scroll down a little to Gatliff Buildings (I'll link to it anyway!)
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... rs=163&b=1

Interesting!
Attachments
Buckingham Palace Road 1910 PO London Streets.JPG
Buckingham Palace Road 1910 PO London Streets.JPG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 770 times
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm

brunes08"]Thank you woodchal. The death for William is the correct one. I'll follow up the Ashton details to see if they fit with anything else I know or if they mean anything to other family members.
AnthonyM - the details I have for Flora and George's marriage are:
George John Aldridge - 40 years - widower - House decorator Master - 52 Beulah Road North, Thornton Heath - father Robert Aldridge deceased.
Flora Iris Hands - 25 years - widow - no occupation stated - 23 Kingston Road, West Hampstead - father Frank Rogers. (Rodgers/Rogers on different certificates/census returns etc).
Witnesses are Ethel Legge and WR McLeod

I have a copy of both Flora and George on their respective entries in the 1901 census but these have not helped me to trace Flora or George.

I consider George J Aldridge as given to be the correct Spouse to Flora Iris nee Rodgers HANDS

1) Child Jessie Eva born 5 Nov 1892 attended Beulah Road junior school 1900 ( by 1901 her guardian was Mrs Legge)
2) Jessie child of George John Aldridge & wife Jane baptised 13 MAY 1894
3) George J married Jane Fransham in 1890 Croydon
4) Witness to marriage is sister Matilda Legge's daughter Ethel Mary

There is an entry on the 1939 Register for Jessie E Michell married of 17 Sunningdale Avenue , Ruislip-Northwood looking at the image the date of birth is 5 Nov 1892 living with John & Amy Hensel

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app[/quote]
elsabels

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Bit more on George John Aldridge
Baptized 10 Feb 1861 at Horsham.
(Faded) Image of the parish register here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=140909

FamilySearch have wrongly killed him off in 1862!
This is interesting, he was in the army, a record in WO97.
And still a few hours to see it for free on Fold3 (if you are registered as a free member and signed in!)
Attested for 1st Life Guards at London, 31 May 1884, age 23 years 4 months
Born Horsham, Sussex.
Trade or Calling - Ironmonger
There is a full physical description of the (later) missing man. It won't help now!
Next of kin - Mother Martha, Crawley Rd, Horsham.
He lasted less than a year, was discharged in March 1885, medically unfit.
ianbee

Postby brunes08 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Thank you ianbee and elsabels. You have both left me with lots of things to think about and find a way forward. Some of it I have found a long time ago but couldn't find a way through it to see what happened to Flora. Some of the information is new, so that may help. The Cambridge information is correct. However, I had not found young Flora's school record - could you let me know where you found it please. I do not think 'mad' ideas are out of the question. Often these make us look in directions we would not have thought about. A fresh pair of eyes and all that! I shall work through all that information and see what turns up. First move is to obtain the death certificate for Flora Iris Searle. I shall get going over the weekend and as soon as possible I will let you know what has transpired. Once again, thank you so much - you deserve gold stars!

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi brunes,
The school record (image) for Flora Iris is on findmypast, they also have a transcript of her baptism in Cambridge in 1912.
What would we give to have her record from St Michaels!

Mad or not, it is just all a theory, an idea. Names are funny things, they get changed and added to, but we can at least say that Flora Iris was an unusual combination, for the time at least. So I certainly think it's worth investigating.

Looking at Jessie's school records again, she was at Beulah Road Girls School (also on findmypast). Maybe I read all the wrong things into them first time around! Perhaps there is something odd about them, but, if so, I can't put my finger on what it is.
Good luck with Flora, yes please do let us know how you get on.
Ian
ianbee

Postby woodchal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:44 pm

apropos of nothing - I followed the links to Ian's map (Thanks Ian that is a very interesting site) and found that for several years I worked in the offices that have been built on the site of St Michael's
woodchal

Previous

Return to General research queries