Moderator Control Panel ]

John George Mainwaring

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

John George Mainwaring

Postby phsvm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:54 pm

John George Mainwaring was born in 1880 in Lincolnshire and in 1897 enlisted with the North Staffordshire Rgt before being transferred to either the 1st or 2nd Grenadier Guards - his papers mention both. He found in the 2nd Boer War and was discharged to the reserves in 1905.

The 1911 census shows him living in Beeston, Nottinghamshire with his wife and daughter. His occupation is listed as Police Constable. The 1939 Register lists him as a Retired Police Seargent.

I can find nothing - not even an MIC - to suggest he had any military involvement between 1914 and 1919. I appreciate that his GG records may not be available but shouldn't I be able to find an MIC if he served. My feeling also is that as a policeman he'd have been exempt from more service?

Despite this lack of evidence he is listed on a Roll of Honour in our village. This in inself is slighly questionable as 5 of his brothers are all listed although only 2 of them actually ever lived here - the family moved here after most of his siblings had long flown the nest so I'm not sure how much the compilers of the Roll actually knew about the family.

Am I correct over his lack of later military service or am I missing something?
phsvm

Re: John George Mainwaring

Postby avaline » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 am

shouldn't I be able to find an MIC if he served

He would only have an MIC if he served abroad.

My feeling also is that as a policeman he'd have been exempt from more service?

The schedule of Certified (exempt) Occupations changed over time, especially from 1916 when conscription came into force, and you can download a list of Certified Occupations at various dates from here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /C14091004

If you have access to the British Newspaper Archive and use the keywords 'Certified Occupations' you should get a huge number of returns, but looking at one from November 1916 it says the following about the police: "To be treated as in a certified occupation if their services are declared by their chief officer to be necessary in their civil employment" and there was a ruling in December 1916 that the exemption did not extend to members of the Special Police, even if their services were declared necessary by their chief officer, as this was not their full-time occupation.
avaline

Postby peter kent » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 am

1. Why not explore the Notts police records at Nottinghamshire Archives?

2. Are you aware that the records of Guards regiments are retained by the regiments and can be applied for through the appropriate regimental headquarters?
peter kent

Postby phsvm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Many thanks Peter.

I hadn't thought of the Notts Police records so another avenue to try.

Yes, I did know about guards records. He's a 'small bit' player in my research so can't afford to go to huge expense obtaining documents etc. If I do it for one I'll end up doing it for all 60 I'm researching!
phsvm

Postby Lyndale » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:14 am

Hi PHSVM,
I saw your letter in Oct WDYTYA magazine Forum Queries. I can add to the information already received and excuse anything I've duplicated. 1) Although you have chosen not to send for John's Grenadier Guards record because of cost (all 5 Foot Guard's service records survived the 1940 bombing of the repository because they were stored elsewhere) be aware of a recent change. Only the Coldstream and Scots Guards records are still retained by the individual regiment at Birdcage Walk, Wellington Barracks London; the Grenadier, Welsh and Irish Guards records, incl those for WW1, have now been transferred to MOD Glasgow, the cost remains at GBP30. If you Google 'The Guards Museum' for this announcement, then click on the MOD link provided, you will see what I mean. 2) As stated by an earlier respondent, if a soldier did not serve overseas, then he received no campaign medal for service in Britain (incl Ireland) and would therefore not be in the MIC database; unlike WW2 when the Defence Medal was struck. At age 36 when conscription came in, John if called-up, would have probably been used in a home training roll by his old regiment. His army reserve commitment when discharged in 1905 was 7 years (to 1912) so he would not have been automatically re-called for WW1. 3) As a full time Police officer in August 1914, I believe that he would have been retained in this vital home service role. 4) Local British WW1 memorial's were strictly for those whom gave their lives 1914-21, so called "Rolls of Honour", but many local memorial committees were un-fetted from making up their own rules and often used the term "Roll of Honour" to locally recognise those that had done their duty, even if hey survived. Because all 6 brothers are listed (and not all were local) this tells me that a submission was probably received from their parents and if the selection committee were slack in requesting precise details and took a lazy attitude to submissions, then this might explain how all 6 got listed, alive, killed, local or otherwise. I hope this helps, cheers Lyndale Melbourne Australia.
Lyndale

Return to Military help