Moderator Control Panel ]

Register of Internment

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Register of Internment

Postby zlatarigirl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:20 pm

On my grandmother Register of Internment, the 1st column is Internment number. The 2nd column is Section & Class, the section number is 186c then under Class it the letter C. Can anyone tell me what the letters 'C' mean.
zlatarigirl

Re: Register of Internment

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Internment? Or Interment (ie burials)?

If it is a cemetery's book that we're talking about, then the Class is probably something that means something only to that cemetery - others might be using similar letters, of course. So we'd only be guessing, I'm afraid. (Especially when we can't see the records.... But that's possibly a minor point)

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm

The major cemeteries in Southampton are divided into sections demoted by letters of the alphabet and then each section contains so many graves. So our grandparents are buried in Section C grave no 23. See if you can pull up a map of the cemetery where your relative is interred and that should help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby peter kent » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 am

From what little you've told us, I would go along with what meekhcs says. In many burial registers section and class define the precise burial spot.

Can't the service that provided you with the document help with an explanation?
peter kent

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 am

Just looking at one example of mine, there are multiple columns for Class and they have their values explicit - consecrated, unconsecrated and Roman Catholic. However, there is nothing to say that Class would be used consistently across all cemeteries - in another it might refer to the "ownership" of the plot.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 am

What if the section/grave are both included in "186c"?
Class could be whether common or private, or something like that.
May be completely wrong, anyway, going on the question, here is a cemetery register which may be somewhat similar?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=505052
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:57 pm

ianbee wrote:... Class could be whether common or private, or something like that ...

I would guess that in this instance it's "Com'n" for Common - i.e. "owned" by the council so in common-use, rather than privately "owned". I'm guessing that because entries 32889 & 32890 are from different addresses but are in the same grave on the same day.

I'm only throwing this is to illustrate that "C" can have at least 2 meanings ("Common" and "Consecrated") and it's more than a little tricky to decide - we'd need to see some pages (or know where to look for them) to even take a guess.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries