Moderator Control Panel ]

Audrey M L Wilmott

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Audrey M L Wilmott

Postby devonliz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:10 am

Audrey Wilmott was born 30.9.1901 and died in q1 1993. She had retired to Kent after a long career in teaching, along with her sister Hester (b 13.5.1909, died q3 1996). They both had middle names - Margaret and Mary respectively, also their mother's surname of Lake, so invariably signed themselves with the middle initials ML.

Both sisters appear with their parents Edward and Margaret Wilmott in the 1911 census. Since they were clearly rather a genteel family (Edward was a senior clergyman) it occurred to me that if a brother was born in 1903-4, he might have been away at prep school ... I have no evidence for this!

I know where Audrey was after about 1950 - but I can't find her in the 1939 Register. Her mother was widowed by then and appears to have gone to live with a sister and another female relative (maiden aunt?) in Leeds; Hester was a teacher in a boys' school in Devon ... so where was Audrey?
devonliz

Re: Audrey M L Wilmott

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 am

devonliz wrote:Audrey Wilmott was born 30.9.1901 and died in q1 1993. She had retired to Kent after a long career in teaching, along with her sister Hester (b 13.5.1909, died q3 1996). They both had middle names - Margaret and Mary respectively, also their mother's surname of Lake, so invariably signed themselves with the middle initials ML.

Both sisters appear with their parents Edward and Margaret Wilmott in the 1911 census. Since they were clearly rather a genteel family (Edward was a senior clergyman) it occurred to me that if a brother was born in 1903-4, he might have been away at prep school ... I have no evidence for this!

I know where Audrey was after about 1950 - but I can't find her in the 1939 Register. Her mother was widowed by then and appears to have gone to live with a sister and another female relative (maiden aunt?) in Leeds; Hester was a teacher in a boys' school in Devon ... so where was Audrey?

She has been indexed under Helmott - I searched using her first name and birthdate. She is a school teacher in Nottinghamshire.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 am

I also searched the General Register Office index with Wilmott and mother's name Lake and only found the two daughters you mentioned.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:05 am

DianaCanada wrote:I also searched the General Register Office index with Wilmott and mother's name Lake and only found the two daughters you mentioned.

Ignore above! I found an Edward Hugh Lake Wilmott registered in Faringdon Jun 1900, mother maiden name Lake. There is a death for an Edward HL Wilmott in Wandsworth, age 0, Mar Q 1901.
DianaCanada

Audrey M L Wilmott

Postby brunes08 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:13 am

Audrey is living at 12 Buckstone Crescent in the Pudsey/Otley area near Leeds in 1939 and onwards through to 1948 as far as I have looked. She is living with Margaret Sophia Cleverly Wilmott (presumably her mother) and later Hester joins them. I was looking at the Electoral Registers on Ancestry.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Last edited by brunes08 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
brunes08

Postby trace » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 am

Death for Edward H L WIlmott 1901 Wandsworth Reg Dist
trace

Postby devonliz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 am

Gosh, thank you, one and all! That was quicker than I could have done myself (especially since I don't subscribe to Ancestry). Thank goodness women all had the vote by then - we couldn't have traced them on the electoral role twenty years earlier!

Sad to learn of the death of baby Edward just before Audrey was born. I wonder if there were other tragedies in between the births of the two daughters?

Thanks everyone.
devonliz

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:40 am

devonliz wrote:Gosh, thank you, one and all! That was quicker than I could have done myself (especially since I don't subscribe to Ancestry)

Sad to learn of the death of baby Edward just before Audrey was born. I wonder if there were other tragedies in between the births of the two daughters?

Thanks everyone.

I found no other children for them, and the 1911 census states that Mrs Wilmott had had 3 chilfren, 2 living.
Wondering how much information you want on this family? Not wanting to duplicate what you might have already done!
DianaCanada

Postby devonliz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Thank you DianaCanada! I tried to follow up the 1939 information on FindmyPast but it does not appear, whether I use your search method or the surname you provided ... so I would be glad of a PM with whatever you found on Ancestry.
Margaret S C Wilmott (the mother) was presumably visiting her family in Leeds on the night of the 1939 Register. Daughters may have been on the Electoral Register with mother because they only lived near/at schools during term time.
I think I have enough now to build up a picture of Audrey's life before she came to Lincoln, thank you.
devonliz

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:15 pm

I found Audrey at 55 Ordsall Road, East Retford, Nottinghamshire.
She was listed third in the household, her birthdate was included and her occupation as teacher. The other three women were also described as teachers as follows:
Corlis, Kathleen M. b. 15 Nov 1903
Radcliffe, Gertrude E. b. 28 Sep 1907
Parker (or Parber), Alice M. b. 6 Dec 1895

Kathleen is also listed as an ARP Ambulance Driver.
Writing not very good, but I think I have the names right. Not surprised the indexer mistook Helmott for Wilmott.
The house can be seen on Google Street View.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries